"So that's what you guys made me crawl into that stupid tomb for?"

     The mere thought of ever having to go back and crawl into that tomb made a shiver run down her spine. JJ nodded.

     "Why are letting me in on this? Last I checked none of you guys wanted to tell me this."

     "I mean that was mainly Kie, but you're not wrong." JJ agreed. "I figured I owe you. You know, for the tomb and all."

     Farrah could tell there was more to it, but something about the look in his eye made her leave it. JJ wasn't even quite sure himself why he was wanting to tell her.

     "What're you gonna spend it on?"

     "First, I'm gonna get the hell out of here." He declared. "Then I'll probably buy a mansion somewhere, full kook. Spend every surfing."

     Farrah smiled at the idea. Leaving the island behind to live like royalty sounded delightful.

     "Sounds perfect." Farrah agreed, nodding. "The first part, not the surfing. Saltwater does not agree with me."

     JJ glanced over at her as they walked down the road. "Why do you wanna leave? I mean— you've got parents who love you, friends, good grades. You actually have a future."

     "Does anyone from the Cut really have a future other than this?" She wondered out loud. "Other than Pope."

     "I guess you've got a point."

     Silence engulfed them once again. Several moments passed with neither one of them daring to break it. That is until she did. "Fashion school."

     "Huh?"

     "The fashion institute of technology in New York. That's where I want to go." She explained.

     "Sounds fancy."

     "It is. But my dads could never afford it." She sighed.

     "When I get rich and kooky, I'll give you a cut of my share." JJ chuckled fondly. Farrah's smiled at the thought.

     "I appreciate that."

     When they finally reached her house, gratitude blossomed in Farrah's chest. "Here you go." JJ handed her the heels he had been carrying for her, her bare feet on the grass. She accepted them, no energy left in her for a snappy remark. Instead, she did the last thing he had expected.

     The Montgomery girl threw her arms around his neck, pulling him down into a hug. She didn't need to thank him, he already knew. When they pulled away from the hug, he could see the bruises formed on her wrists. She noticed him staring, instinctively pulling them behind her back. "You wanna talk about?"

     "No."

     "Okay." He nodded. Maybe one day she'd tell him what the deal between her and Rafe were, but for now he was willing to leave it.

     Farrah was greatful. Grateful that he had found her sitting after Rafe left her, grateful that he had convinced the others of giving her a ride when Topper and the others left here there. Grateful that he had insisted on walking home because in truth she wasn't sure how far she would've made it on her own. And finally, grateful that he respected her enough to not push her on the topic. Maybe, just maybe, JJ Maybank wasn't as bad as she had always made him out to be. He was a reckless delinquent, that much she knew, but somewhere in his soul swam safety. Farrah couldn't identify the feeling swirling within her when she stared at him when he walked her home. But she knew that it scared her yet warmed her all at the same time.