On a summer night

It was late, truly late when the hungry Lunaria pushed the door to her cosy home. Her last visit lasted longer than expected and left her stinking. She had to deal with an abortion having gone unnoticed for months. And now, in the middle of summer, the cow was infertile. Of course, it couldn't be a mummified foetus. It had to be the putrid and lysed foetus, the one who reek enough for the stench to hang on you for the rest of the day. Fortunately, she could go home without delay. As such, the woman went straight for the shower, leaving her phone not far away in case she got a call.

Only when returning from a long and hot shower did she noticed the spear delicately placed on the desk in her bedroom. Fighting her hunger, she approached to look at the weapon which shouldn't be here. It was definitely a spear and even she, no specialist, could see it was a fine craft: it was finely engraved with intricate patterns, the handle was a profound black and the blade had an enchanting form with the centre a deep red.

How the hell did this weapon end up here?

This question was weighting in the mind on the vet. However, before she got close enough to touch the weapon, her phone rung. Thus, she turned her back on it and answered, returning to more pressing matters.

"Doctor Solaria speaking."

While talking with her client, she went to the kitchen and took a few snacks since she wouldn't be able to eat her dinner before coming back from this emergency.

"A obstructed calving? I'm coming right away sir. I'll be there in something like fifteen minutes."

Back in her bedroom, she hang up and took her keys, forgetting completely about the spear. Then she left, leaving behind her a single question:

"Why did I take a shower again?"

But in her mind was a silent prayer: May it not turn into a C-section...

Once she was gone, the calm and the silence ought to have return in her humble abode for there was no one around. However, a male voice answered the question left behind.

"Because you stank women!"

"Shh! Be more polite to the Chosen One, would you?" Chided a female voice.

"Yeah, yeah... Whatever."

"Shi Zhe!"

"No, but more importantly: I didn't think there would still be people reeking like that in this period of history."

"Shi Zhe..." A point of anger was beginning to appear in the woman voice by now.

"Okay, okay I'll stop. But before that, did she just ignore us?"

"Not us. The holy spear. And I do not think she was ignoring us on purpose. She seemed to have more pressing matters to attend to." Answered the cool-headed voice.

"Like what? The cow?"

"It seems so..."

Silence returned, the voices dissolving into nothingness.

Time passed. An hour was gone then a second followed.

Not withstanding the silence any longer, a silhouette appeared from thin air revealing a young man who couldn't be in his thirties yet. He had long dark hair that seems to be floating behind him as he materialized and began walking towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Intervened the woman, appearing between him and the door. She too had dark hair. However she had them carefully braided and maintained by golden ties.