CHAPTER SIX, first day at Abigail Adams high

Start from the beginning

Mirabel started eating her food, her mind drifting. She wondered what it would be like at the school. Would people judge her? Would they be nice to her? What would her classes be like? And what about the teachers? There were so many things going through her head.

"What's on your mind, mija?" Beatrix questioned, seeing her daughter looking lost in thought.

Mirabel blinks and looks up at her, her face reddening slightly. "Oh, uh, just thinking about school. What if people are mean? What if I can't make friends? Or what if the teachers are jerks?" She rambled, biting her lip.

"People can be mean, yes, but if they are then ignore them. And if anyone gives you a hard time, tell me. And the same goes for the teachers." Beatrix tells her, giving her a look. "Don't worry, you'll be okay. Just be yourself."

Mirabel takes a deep breath and nods, feeling a little better. "Thanks, mama. You're right." She smiled, trying to relax. She took a few more bites of her food, her eyes wandering around the kitchen. She liked their new house. It was a decent size, two bedrooms and one bathroom. It had an open concept with a small dining area off the kitchen. There was a fireplace and a TV, a nice couch and a few armchairs. It was comfortable and cozy. It felt like a home.

"I'm always right." Beatrix teased, smiling widely.

"And humble." Mirabel spoke in a teasing tone as she chuckled, taking another bite of her food.

"That too." Beatrix grinned and finished her drink.

They finished eating and Mirabel cleans up her plate. "I'm going to go get my backpack. I'll be right back." She announced and walked towards the stairs.

"Alright, mija. I'll meet you at the door." Beatrix told her as she finished cleaning things up.

Mirabel ran upstairs and grabbed her backpack and her phone. She put her phone in her pocket and then slung the backpack over her shoulders. She made her way back downstairs, her heart thudding. Her nerves grew and her palms were sweating. She tried to calm her breathing and push her anxiety down. She didn't want her mom to worry. She took a deep breath and put on a smile as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Ready, mama."

Beatrix was by the door, her purse over her shoulder and keys in her hand. "Alright, let's go." She smiled and the two of them left the house.

It was a quiet car ride to the school, neither of them saying much. Soft music played from the radio, filling the silence. Mirabel stared out the window, watching the houses and buildings pass by. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves.

Once they arrived, Beatrix parked the car and Mirabel unbuckled her seatbelt. She grabbed her backpack, pausing when she looked up at the school. Students were walking into the building and some were hanging out in the parking lot. She felt her nerves and anxiety return, her chest tightening and her stomach was in knots. She swallows hard and took a deep breath.

"I can walk you in." Beatrix offered, looking concerned. She could see the nervousness and anxiousness in her daughter's face.

"No, that's okay. I can do it." Mirabel said, smiling slightly. She appreciated her mom offering, but she wanted to do this herself.

"Okay, but call me if you need anything. Anything at all, okay? I can always come get you." Beatrix tells her seriously. "You don't have to start school today if you're not ready. I know this was a big change for you."

Mirabel bites her lip, contemplating it. She could just stay home, it wouldn't hurt, right? But then she thinks about Lucas. She wanted to see him and she told him and the others she would be there today. "No, it's okay. I can do it. Thank you, mama."