Questions And Concerns

Start from the beginning

Since Khushi was standing with her back facing the staircase, Arnav had not seen how her smile had immediately vanished when his sister had asked her about her fiancé, if he had, it may have worked as a salve for his bleeding heart.

Khushi had schooled her expression immediately, but it was not soon enough, because Devyani, who was watching Khushi very closely, had noticed the way her smile faltered at the mention of her fiancé. Devyani, being the oldest, knew that it was better to confront Khushi about this in private, and she decided to do it as soon as possible.

Anjali and Lavanya probed Khushi for details and continued teasing her, they found out that Khushi's fiancé was the same man who was living in their house as a PG, and that he was a lawyer by profession "Naam aur kaam dono shame to shame... inbhestigaishion karega padi" (Name and work, both same to same.. I should investigate this) Manorama muttered under her breath. "Miss. Phati Sadi" she called out in her usual style "Humri bhi ek kweston hai.." (I have a question too) Khushi gave her a smile, which was genuine "Ji, poochiye Maamiji" (Yes, ask

Before Manorama could ask the question though, Khushi's phone rang, she gave Manorama an apologetic look and answered her phone. "Ji Shyamji?" (Yes Shyamji) Anjali was about to tease Khushi but stopped herself when she noticed the visible uneasiness in Khushi's demeanour as she spoke on the phone. She sat back and observed Khushi carefully, there was no happiness or coyness that a newly engaged woman usually displayed while speaking to her fiancé. Anjali was sure something was terribly wrong, the rushed engagement and Khushi's current behaviour didn't sit well with her.

Khushi took a few minutes to hang up, and she was completely worked up by the end of the call, Shyam had asked her to go out with him for dinner the next day, and she refused, but he continued to pester her, even after she said that she was still at work and would talk to him once she was home. Maybe he thought if he put her in a sticky situation, she would relent, but Khushi had stuck her ground and refused to go out with him anywhere.

Khushi turned to face the family, she smiled a little awkwardly when Lavanya teased her, she saw Devyani and Anjali looking at her a little strangely, and Manorama was as usual sticking her nose up in the air, pretending not to care about anything. "Bohot der hogayi hai.. hum ghar chale?" (It is too late, shall I go home?) she asked in general, Anjali and Devyani nodded her head, Khushi picked up her bag and put it over her shoulder.

Lavanya stood up with a teasing smile "Itni bhi kya jaldi hai chamkeeli? ohh.. tumhari fiancé se milna hai naaa" (What is the hurry chamkeeli? ohh.. you want to meet your fiancé riiiiight?) Lavanya giggled, Khushi shook her head "Aise koi baat nahi hai.." (Nothing like that..) before she could complete her sentence, her phone rang again, she saw the caller ID, it was her aunt,

"Lagta hai buaji ko pata chal gaya hai ke humne Shyamji ke saat bahar jaane ke liye manaa kardiya tha.." (Looks like Buaji got to know that I refused to go out with Shyamji..) She thought and brazed herself for the yelling she was about to receive, just as she placed the phone on her ear, Lavanya snatched the phone from her hand and ran away "Lavanyajjiiii" Khushi yelled in surprise and looked towards the stairs, where Lavanya had run off to.

***

Arnav was at his poolside, Gardening had always been a source of peace and calm for him, but today, he was feeling restless even while tending to his plants. Memories of the Diwali night kept flashing in his mind, and Khushi's words kept reverberating in his ears.

He had screwed things up so badly that night. When she wanted answers, he was not ready to give them, and when he was ready to talk, she had pretended it all meant nothing to her - Her anklet and their almost kiss. Her behaviour on the ride over to her house had irked him, and he ended up spewing those hurtful words at her. He knew those words cut her deep, and today when she quoted his words back at him, he almost wanted the earth to swallow him.