1

"Where even is Emma?" Alora asked her best friend since the 1st grade, Issac, as they walked arm in arm out of school.

     "She had to go to Hartford with her parents for the weekend and she left early." He replied as he moved out of the way to not bump shoulders with a group of seniors. "Do you know why?" Alora asked as she eyed the the group knowing that they stood there on purpose. "Nope, she didn't say, but am I walking you to Luke's?"

     Luke's was the diner in town that Alora always went to with her mother and sister. Luke, the owner, was pretty much like family. He was around more than her own father was. She looked up to him and he pretty much saw the twins as his daughters also.

     Alora turned her attention back to Issac. "Sure if you want to, but if you need to get home, it's fine." She answered, she knew on Thursday's he had to watch his little brothers.

     "I'll go with you, they can wait 10 minutes." They both laughed as they walked in the direction of the diner. "Bye, I'll call you later." Alora said to the boy and she went to walk inside. "Alright, bye Lora" he said as he watched her walk in and then turned the corner to go home.

"Hey, It's freezing" Alora stated as she sat down at the table her mother was at. "Oh, what do you need? Hot tea, coffee?" Her mom, Lorelai, asked. "Lipgloss."

     Lorelai reached in her bag and pulled out a makeup bag. "I have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and toasted marshmallow." She said as she showed Alora the bag.

     "Is there anything in there not resembling a breakfast cereal?" Alora asked jokingly. "Yes." Lorelai answered quickly as she reached for another bag, "it has no smell but it changes color with your mood" she said as she smiled. "God, RuPaul doesn't need this much makeup" Alora exclaimed as she reached for the color changing tube.

     "Hi" Alora's sister Rory said as she came in the diner and sat down. "I am so upset right now. Lora did you take my cd?" she asked as she stared at her sister. "What cd?" Alora asked confused. "Macy Gray." "No, I don't even listen to her."

     Rory looked like she didn't believe her for a second until their mom interrupted them. "I have your cd" she said as she pulled it out of her bag and handed it across the table to her. "Thief" Rory said as she took it, thankful that she hadn't lost it.

     "I'll get you girls coffee and tea." Lorelai said as she got up and walked to the counter. Alora and Rory were talked about homework in science class when some guy walked up to the table. He started small talk and then Lorelai finally came back after what seemed like forever to Alora.

     "You really like my table, don't you?" She asked sarcastically. "I was just uh.." the guy trailed off and Lorelai asked, "getting to know my daughters?" as she put her arm around the girls.

     "Are you our new daddy?" Rory asked acting innocent. I smiled and looked down to keep from laughing. "You do not look old enough to have daughters, and you- you guys do not look like daughters." He stumbled over his words.

      "Thats possibly very sweet of you, thanks." Lorelai smiled sarcastically. He stayed quiet for a moment and then said, "you know, I am traveling with a friend." as he pointed to someone at the counter.

     Alora couldn't believe the nerve he had. "They're 15." Lorelai answered to that. "Bye." He said as he grabbed his friend and they left. "Drive safe" Alora said as she and Rory laughed.

      Luke then brought over the drinks and the 3 girls talked and laughed for the next hour.

Alora and Rory walked into The Independence Inn where their mother worked as the manager.