Broken Hearts And Bruised Egos

Start from the beginning

Coming back to the present, She watched as he brought his right hand up, holding the ring, he placed it on the edge of her finger, was that a smile on his face? She couldn't say for sure, because what ever it was, it disappeared as soon as it had appeared, before she could have a proper look.

She looked down at both their hands, it was like a movie playing in slow motion for her, he was sliding the ring onto her finger. Khushi closed her eyes automatically, for a moment, just for a fleeting moment, she let herself believe that this was all true, the man she loved was about to stake his claim on her. 

She was painfully aware of the coolness of the metal, totally contrasting the warmth Arnav's fingers exuded, leaving a trail on her finger, as the ring slid over her knuckle, just a few centimetres more and..... Another man's face flashed in her mind and Khushi snapped her eyes open, no! this was wrong. 

She snatched her hand from his hold, and Arnav who was almost in a lost state as he was sliding the ring onto her finger, looked up at her. She had taken a few steps back.. He was confused.. What just happened? He was about to question her but she looked away, he noticed that her breathing had become uneven "aap yeh angooti nai pehna sakte" (You can't put this ring on me) she said not looking into his eyes. 

He waited for a few seconds, for her to look up, and she did, she could read the question in his eyes as if it were written in a book "yeh humaari sagai ki angooti hai" (This is my engagement ring) Her words reverberated in his ears, Arnav felt like someone knocked all the air out of his lungs, he couldn't breath. He felt the earth beneath him being pulled away, he looked at her, waiting for her to say that she misspoke, but she didn't.. NO! this couldn't be.. she .. she cannot be engaged to someone else.. "how could she do that to me?" he thought

Khushi looked away, unable to hold his accusatory gaze anymore, she didn't know why she felt like she had betrayed him, the hurt on his face made her feel like that. She watched, from below her lashes, as the ring slipped from his fingers and fell to the ground, it rolled away, she followed it with her gaze and it ended up right near Anajli's feet.

Anjali picked the ring up, looked at Khushi and playfully told her off for not taking care of the ring. Khushi explained to her that the ring was not fitting properly, Anjali smiled at her and asked her to give her hand, she slid the ring onto Khushi's finger as Arnav and Khushi watched on.. their hearts bleeding. "lagta hai yeh ring aapke liye bohot special hai.. hume bhi bataiye na iski khasiyat kya hai" (Looks like this ring is very special for you, tell me also what is its importance?) Khushi looked towards Arnav when Anjali said those words, and the man chose that particular moment to look directly at her. She felt guilt gnawing at her heart, she couldn't say those words again, she couldn't hurt him like that again.

Anjali tapped on her arm and urged her to give an answer, Khushi looked down, she wished Arnav would turn away, but the stubborn man did not. Reluctantly Khushi informed Anjali that it was her engagement ring. Anjali's face blossomed as happiness took over her.. then immediately she pouted and chided Khushi for not informing them earlier. "Lekin aap ke chehre kyun ukri ukri si hai Khushiji? Ab tho aapko muskuraana chahiye.. thoda sharmaana chahiye" (but why is there so much sadness on your face Khushiji? Now you must smile.. Even blush a little) Anjali poked at her cheek teasingly, then giggled. Khushi couldn't bring herself to even give a polite smile at Anjali's open tease. She was painfully aware of the fact that Arnav was watching everything from the corner of his eyes.

Blissfully unaware of the tension in the room, Anjali continued to smile "Hum aapke liye bohot khush hai" (I am very happy for you) She hugged Khushi, while the latter could not tear her eyes off Arnav as she returned Anjali's hug. He looked so hurt and she couldn't digest it. Anjali disentangled herself from the hug, she held Khushi's cheek lovingly "Mai baaki sabko yeh khabar sunaane jaa rahi hu.. aap bhi neeche aajaiye.. Pakka Naani yeh khabar sunke aapse milna chahegi" (I am going to give this news to the rest.. You also come downstairs, I am sure Naani will want to meet you once she hears about this)