Be careful what you dream

Start bij het begin

Destructive training was all he needed.

He left the house with Rupert and they worked out for hours, never seeming to be enough, so much so that Rupert himself struggled to keep up.
"Good thing you struggled to get up this morning. Just think if you were perky!" Said Rupert oblivious to all that had just happened. Carlos was a bull, unstoppable. Running, weights, boxing, push-ups, there was nothing that could tire him out.
"That's enough for today, tio. I'm exhausted," Rupert said as he lay down on a park bench. He couldn't take it anymore. Carlos was on his feet but as soon as he stopped for a moment, he began to feel all his muscles on fire. He had been so angry that he hadn't even realized he had crossed the line. He looked down at his legs, those calves were huge, his veins throbbing, his legs were shaking. It was time to really stop.

They went back to Carlos's house and cooked. After lunch, Rupert went home while Carlos let himself fall on the couch in front of the turned-off TV. He looked at his reflection; he felt like a jerk.

He felt that the longer he remained alone, the harder it would be for him not to think about that dream or the reality of the facts. He had to do something, he had to be with someone. He decided, therefore, to write to Lando, hoping he would be free for a golf session.

"Sure, man. See you tomorrow."

Tomorrow was a long time for him anyway, so he decided to stay at the simulator all day until his eyes burned. At that point he went to sleep, hoping not to dream of her again. The next day he woke up more serene, he had not dreamed at all, he had managed to sleep without ever waking up. After all, he was dead tired, both physically and mentally from the day before. He pereparated to go golfing with Lando, and in a flash he was with him on the golf course.

"You're quiet, man. Are you okay?" Lando knew Carlos very well, knew that Carlos was secretive, yet somehow always managed to get him to tell him what was going on in his life.
"Yes, I'm focused" Carlos stood with bowed head, suddenly not feeling like talking to anyone. Typical Carlos.
"Nice day today" Lando's attack began.
"Yeah" said Carlos and instinctively looked up at the sky.

Step one: check.

"What have you been doing these days?"
"Nothing much, I've been training a lot, Rupert wasn't behind me anymore."
"Wow! Rupert tired? Absurd!"
"Yeah, I had to discharge anger."

Step two: check

"Anger?"
"Nothing, never mind."
Carlos approached the golf cart and Lando followed him to the next hole. Lando knew that now he just had to let it cook a little, and the rest would come.
They played some more, in silence, then Lando returned to the attack.
"I would like to go to the mountains next week, can you give me the number of the hotel where you stayed?"
"Remind me later, it's a nice place if you're with friends."
"Who did you go with?"
"I went alone, but I came right back home."
"You got bored, I guess."
"Not really..."
"What do you mean?"
"I caught people I didn't want to see."
"Max fan?"
"No, Charles."
"Charles?" okay Lando was quite confused. "What happened?"
"Nothing."
"Okay, okay."
"Sorry...things are getting out of hand again"

Step three: check

"Um, I see..." Lando's tactic was to let him talk, now that the bait had taken the bait.
"Did you know that Charles and Y/n are together?" Lando was about to throw the ball, but as soon as he heard this sentence he froze and turned to Carlos.
"Charles and Y/n what?!" he couldn't believe it "What the fuck, man. that's impossible!"
"I swear."
"And how did that happen? I'm shocked I swear."
"I suggested it to him."
"WHAT?!" Lando stopped and looked at Carlos, he was intoxicated, while his friend seemed impassive, focused on the game. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."
"Eh no, it's all true, my dear."
"But why did you do that? Do you have a brain problem?"
"No, it's better for the two of them to be together. You can see they make a good couple."
"But wasn't Charles with Charlotte?" Lando no longer knew whether he was living a simulation, whether the earth was flat, whether he was named Lando Norris.
"That's right, he was. Now he's with my ex, funny, isn't it?"
"I don't think they are a good match" Lando refused to imagine them together, it just came to him impossible
"Trust me, they work better than me and her."
"And you say that with this serenity?"
"How else should I say it?"
"Y/n and Charles are best friends, Charles has always helped you to be with her"
"And now he's in it with her. Things change, my friend. We have to resign ourselves."
"You asked for it"
"It was going to happen anyway, sooner or later"
"It's not too late to make up for it, man. You know that too."
"I don't want to"
"Yes, you do! It's your fucking pride that's holding you back. I don't understand you sometimes. Why do you first create messes and then play the victim? You didn't have to be the catalyst and then regret it."

Carlos turned to Lando, not expecting him to react this way.
"And what am I supposed to do? Go to her and tell her I love everything about her? That I'm in love with a girl who has an asshole father? That I liked her from the first day I saw her in the paddock? That I dream about fucking her at night? That I hate myself because I let her get away?" A vein came out of her neck. He was pissed, and Lando stood listening.
"Carlos..." Lando certainly didn't want to go that far, but Carlos was a time bomb ready to explode. He watched him walk away from the golf course, in silence, leaving him alone.

"Maybe I went too far" Lando thought to himself, settling his golf club inside the bag and heading home alone.