o n e

"I'm sorry Jamie I already told you, I can't go tonight. My parents are taking me out for dinner." I said with a sigh, and slammed my locker shut.

"Ok fine." She said, turning to walk to science class.

"Wait up!" I said walking beside her.

"What." She replied in a slightly down tone.

"We have science together." I said.

"Oh." And she was silent the rest of the way to class.

We walked in early. I sat at a lab table.

After we sat in silence the bell rang and students started filing in. Once everyone was seated at their lab table, the teacher, Mr. Smith walked in and pulled up the projector screen to reveal the chalk board.

It read: Frog dissection.

We all groaned.

"Alright class! If we take a look at the dia-"

The teacher was cut off by police officers walked into the room. The only one I recognized was officer Winslow, the murder investigation officer. He was in his early 20's.

They looked around the room, pointing to me. They looked at the picture and nodded, walking over to talk to Mr. Smith. Everyone in the room stared at me. I stared at my hands, ignoring the judgment in everyone's eyes. Jamie was even looking at me like I've done something wrong. The judgmental eyes staring me down like I was a suspect for murder...

They were no fools, they all knew who these guys were. It's a small town where everyone knows everyone.

'Less people, more talk.' I think to myself as I wonder if by the end of the day how many people will think I've murdered someone. I looked up after my burst of thoughts.

Officer Winslow motioned for me to come over. I walked down the rows of lab tables, staring at Winslow and not the 20 pairs of eyes staring at me.

He took his hat off his head and placed it over his heart.

"I am so sorry to tell you Riley..." He said speaking loud enough for everyone to hear him. "But you parents, They were driving home and-" His voice cracked. "We found their car crashed into a tree-"

A whimper escaped through my lips. I was too shocked to respond.

"They got into a car accident?" I said, my voice barely audible.

"No. Well yes but-"He said looking at the ground and back into my eyes. "Your mom hit the tree after- she was stabbed with a pocket knife. Your dad is gone. If in the next 24 hours he is still missing, we will have to put him on the missing person list. We think someone snuck into their car when they went somewhere, and killed your mom. We believe your dad somehow escaped and ran. We're sending out a search party for him. I'm so sorry."

I stood their awestruck, tears running down my face, my breath raged. The pain was unbearable at this point. Everything was quiet. Nobody made a sound. It hurt so bad to have the two people you love most, wiped from existence. I wiped my eyes and reminded myself that I'm in front of my class. I kept crying though. I couldn't stop. It wasn't a controlled action at this point.

Jamie walked up to me and I fell into her embrace with quiet sobs.

"I'm so sorry Riley. You can stay with me for a while if you'd like? I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind all that much. For as much time as you need."

I nodded. "I think I'd like that very much."

"That's the other thing." Winslow said. "We have a family member your mom and dad put on your contact list Incase something ever happened— like who you'd stay with."