Chaper One

Once upon a time,

There was a young girl.

No one knew her name, not even herself.

She was fifteen and didn’t feel like facing the gallows today.

The woods were dark and gloomy.

As she ran through the sharp branches, it seemed as though the trees were collapsing around her, but she didn’t stop.

She could hear the voices of the soldiers calling out after her, their footsteps growing louder.

She saw the glow of their torches burning brighter and brighter.

She felt the sweat rolling down her face as the wind ran its fingers through her dark hair, the moon shining on her pale skin.

The old dead leaves crunched underneath her feet.

Twigs protruding from the forest path clawed at her legs, but she’d never stop running, not with her own life at stake.

She kept running until she reached the end of the woods.

A vast meadow lay before her, there was nowhere she could go.

If she kept running now, they would most definitely find her.

The only option she had left was to turn around and try to find a place to hide.

She looked around frantically until she saw an old tree with a low hanging branch, she ran towards it, stretched out her hands, and jumped.

She watched from the safety of the branches as the soldiers rushed past underneath her.

She sat in the tree for hours until the soldiers had gone.

The girl thought about whether or not she should climb down, but before she could make up her mind, the answer was decided for her.

A light bobbed up and down through the twigs and she retreated back to her spot in the shadows.

As the light drew closer, she could start to make out the shape of the owner. Whatever it was, it wasn’t human.

It looked like it came right out of a fairy tale.

She had the top half that looked like a normal girl like the ones the girl would watch around the village.

The fire in the lantern she was carrying made her brown hair shimmer a golden colour.

Her eyes glowed a toxic shade of green in the dim light.

Now, although the top half seemed normal, the bottom half was much different.

Her legs looked furry and soft, white spots freckled down her back.

Little ears poked out of her hair, but they didn’t belong to a human.

It all looked so animal-like, almost as though she was part deer.

The girl leaned forward to try and get a better look, the old tree creaked eerily as she slid herself toward the edge.

Until...

creak~ CRACK!

Before she could realize what had happened, the branch broke sending her crashing to the ground and everything went dark.