III • HUNTER EXAM

•~•~•~ One Year Later ~•~•~•

     A year has already passed since my first encounter with Ren. Half of it was spent for Ren's training to be up to par with what I've achieved mastery in, and the second half was for my sake.

     I taught Ren the basic skill and strategy of combat, in both his human and dragon forms, and then I gave him some tips about what to do when he is rendered unable to continue fighting (with weapons).

     I, on the other hand, trained to fight in the dark so that my eyes could get adjusted faster. I also sparred with Ren blindfolded to heighten my other four senses. It was disastrous in the beginning, since I had almost killed Ren several times. But after a few near-death experiences for him, I was able to become proficient at it.

     Learning such a skill where you follow your hearing and feeling senses wasn't so bad; I actually preferred it. Now that I have acquired it, I won't have to look at the abhorrent enemy in front of me.

     "Tenshi-sama, we've arrived at the Hunter Exam entrance hall. I can sense it in the restaurant up ahead," a red dragon as tall as me whispers in my ear. I nod my head curtly.

     During the past year, Ren and I grew closer. He became very loyal to me and quite insistent that I'm the kindest soul on earth for allowing him to stay by my side. In addition, I figured out many secrets to Ren's abilities, one of which was being able to shape-shift to any size of a dragon.

     "Ren, shrink yourself. I do not wish to attract attention," I say in a hushed voice. He nods as his body morphs into the size of an otter, which I find interesting. I extend my arm to the ground to allow him to climb onto and rest upon my shoulder.

     "I don't plan on talking to anyone, so you will have to be my voice." Ren nods obediently as we head inside the building.

     A waiter comes up to me and asks what I would like to order, and Ren says the secret code. He then leads the two of us through a back door, seating us at a table in the middle of the room. He leaves for a moment and then comes back after a while, giving me a plate of food before leaving again.

     From my observations, the room is actually an elevator disguised as a dining area, and very well at that.

     I take a glance at the components of the food and inwardly gag, still not used to eating. I offer the food to Ren instead and watch as he gobbles it up. Once he finishes, his stomach is swelled up enough to be the size of both my fists together. After a few minutes, he lets out a little burp.

     The elevator room suddenly jerks to a stop, surprising Ren and causing him to roll over in a panicked state.

     "We're probably here now. Get on my shoulder." He obeys and hops onto my shoulder, snuggling into the crook of my neck. I tug my hood down low enough to allow only my nose and mouth to be seen. Once the doors open, I get up from the chair and walk out.

     Outside, or more accurately, on the other side of the doors is a large room, the design similar to an underground warehouse. Upon entry, there is a rather short and stout green man holding a bunch of little badges.

     "Here's your tag number. Keep it safe and don't lose it," he informs me. "What's your name?"

     I look at the tag he gave me to see that my number is 90.

     "Ten–" Ren starts, but I tap on his head pretty aggressively and he yelps in pain, "–ji!"

     "Your name is... Tenji?" the little green man asks with a suspicious look. I nod as I feel Ren's glare.

     As I walk away from him, I feel the man's gaze on my back, annoying me slightly. I head further down the cave-like hall and sit at a corner to observe my opponents.

     Not many interest me.

     The select few who do catch my attention, however, are: three kids who seem to have potential (one of them being a wannabe doctor with prospective in the medical field), a bald ninja, and a fuchsia headed magician.

     I feel like I've been sitting here for a while, I think to myself. Then, I sense a presence coming towards my direction, but thanks to my cloak, I can't see who it is.

     "It's a fat man who seems to be holding cans of drinks that contain laxatives. It looks like he tries to poison rookies," Ren describes.

     Oh. Then, he's the one who tried to poison the silver head, spiky black head, the wannabe doctor, and a blonde boy who's around the same age as me. I guess he finally found the time and courage to approach me.

     "Hey! You must be a rookie, right? I'm Tonpa. If you have any questions about the exam, just go ahead and ask me! I've got lots of experience with it, this being my thirty-fifth attempt and all. Here, take this as a symbol of our friendship!" he declares, handing me one of his canned drinks.

     His nasally voice annoys me, the lack of sincerity in his words even more so. But I don't plan on killing him. Or anyone, for that matter. That is, unless they are the ones to strike first.

     I glance at Ren, telling him what to do through my eyes.

     Our bond is strong enough to allow us to communicate without speaking such as this situation right now.

     Ren nods as he stops looking into my auburn irises. He faces the man in front of us and glares at him.

     "You should not proudly announce that this is your thirty-fifth attempt. It's not an impressive accomplishment," Ren mutters in my stead perfectly. "I'm already aware of your 'symbol of friendship' being a spiked beverage, but even so I'll accept it. I'm quite parched."

     As he speaks, Ren pouts at me. I guess he's still upset at me for hurting him earlier.

     Ren looks back at Tonpa, and from what I can tell, he's tapping his foot anxiously, sweat forming in his underarms. Reaching into his bag, he pulls out a can and hands it to me. I accept it, but keep my other hand outstretched, silently demanding more. I hear him gulp and hands me another two cans.

     Setting them beside me, I nod and interlace my fingers over my lap. With this, Tonpa walks as fast as he can away from me, like a grown man trying not to be embarrassed.

     Once he's out of sight, I pick up a can for myself and hand one to Ren, since he's also immune to poison thanks to me.

     Opening it, I take large gulps of the cool liquid capable of giving grown men ulcers and ruptures in their stomachs and other internal organs. Drinking it somehow calms me and soothes my dry throat.

     In seconds, I finish the drink and open the last one.

     I helped Ren build an immunity to most poisons during our training, but in his volition. Despite me doing this, I never want Ren to experience the same things I did as a child. Ever.

     Suddenly, a loud siren blares in the cavern, echoing through the tunnel. Immediately after, a lanky man with pink hair and a thin mustache with no mouth appears. He states that his name is Satotz, and that he's the examiner for the first phase.

     So this is the so-called difficult Hunter Exam... I hope it meets my expectations and doesn't disappoint me.

EDITED ON: Thursday, October 10th, 2019