14. The Captain and the Lord

Mulai dari awal

"You might be right about that. So...please, take good care of him." Squaring my shoulders, I stepped forward and stretched out my arms, offering Berty. With a gentleness I would never have expected of the crusty old woman, she took my little treasure and held him close. Leaning over him, I gently touched his face.

"You be good for Granny Aatifa, you hear me?"

"Wawah?" Berty gave me a questioning look, as if to say, "Good? What does that word mean?"

A corner of my mouth twitched. "All right. You be adequate. How's that?"

"Wah!"

"Eat your meals without making too much of a fuss, and remember to take your nap on time. You know how restless you get at night if you don't rest after lunch."

"Wah...?" He looked confused, as if the concept of rest was utterly foreign to him. That reminded me so much of his father it made my heart ache.

"Don't be too naughty, and don't make too much trouble for the nice grandma taking care of you. I...I'll be back as soon as I can." I sniffed. "I...I'm just going on a little holiday, all right? Mum will be sure to bring you back something pretty and shiny. You stay here and be good, and I'll be back before you know it, I promise."

With a last sniff and a pleading look at Aatifa, I turned away—only to be stopped by a tiny hand clutching one of my fingers.

"Mama!"

I froze.

Was that...?

Did he really just...?

Slowly, very slowly, I turned back around to stare at Berty. He was staring right back at me, his painfully familiar sea-coloured eyes so innocent and vulnerable. Right then and there, I wished for nothing so much as to snatch him back and not let go for the next ten thousand years. Well, maybe there was one thing I wanted even more: hear him say that word again.

Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me, and a strong, familiar arm wrapped around my shoulders from behind. Even if he didn't say anything, I knew who was there. There was only one person who would want to share this moment with me. But he didn't say anything to break the spell I was under. He just stood there, sharing the wonderful warmth I was feeling in silence. I had never really appreciated how amazing that silence of his could be.

But, unfortunately, the moment couldn't last forever. A seagull cried out in the distance, breaking the spell I'd been under. Trying to convey what he would not understand through words, I gazed straight into his eyes.

"I will be back," I promised, my voice as fierce as fire and as firm as bedrock. Leaning forward, I pressed a gentle kiss onto his forehead. "You wait for me. Mum will be back in no time."

Once more, I felt a gentle squeeze on my finger. "Mama!"

Dragging in a deep breath, I gave a silent squeeze back, then looked up at the old lady I had placed my hopes on.

"Take good care of him."

It was not a request.

The old woman nodded sombrely. "I swear."

"Thank you."

Then it was my husband's turn. One of his hands touched Berty's cheek with incredible gentleness. When he looked up, his eyes were as cold as the heart as the arctic, and he pinned the old lady to the spot with his gaze.

"Not good care. Perfect care. Understood?"

"Well, well, will you look at that..." One corner of Granny Aatifa's mouth curled up. "Maybe you aren't such a devil, after all."