03 ⇢ 𝙵𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝙸𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚈𝚘𝚞

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗

- River's POV -

Harley fainted, and she fell into my arms. And there I am, waiting for her to wake up. I slowly pushed the lock of hair over her face back, and she opened her eyes slowly.

"Hi. Again." I said softly.

"Hello." She says in a silly voice. "Um." She chuckled softly as she gets back up and I slowly let her go.

"Sorry, beautiful. I mean... Harley." I said. I felt like a dork. "Is it cold?"

"Yeah, yeah it is. But I'm fine River, I am. It's the weird psychic sense, it just felt like an overwhelming rush for a sec, but look, I'm fine really. Don't worry about me." She said, looking me in the eyes. Her eyes were dark brown. "And did you just call me beautiful?"

"If that's okay." I tilted my head in wonder.

"Yeah." She said softly. "You're quite handsome yourself. I mean..." She chuckled also. "If that's okay that I say."

I smiled, feeling my cheeks blush. "Thanks, that's sweet. But I'm not, I—"

"You are. I wouldn't lie." Harley said solemnly. "And um, I'm sorry for this."

"No, don't be sorry. I must've caught you in a time warp of some sort."

"A what?"

"Never mind." I shook my head. "Don't worry about it. You're okay, though right?"

"Yes, River. Yes, I am, okay. And that's all that matters." She responded gently as she tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "But the family photo. It's what you're here for, right?"

"Yeah. I... I know it's been a long time. But today's the only day I'll ever get to see that photo again. While the veil's down, I have until midnight to find it."

"Then we've got some scavenging to do." Harley granted me a small smile, looking down for a moment before she looked back into my eyes with a deep affection.

There was a moment of silence between us that felt comforting and sweet.

"Thank you." I said with a simple bliss as I nodded humbly. "Last I remembered, before we moved out, it was left behind here somewhere. And I thought if new movers were to store anything, it'd probably be in the attic or the basement. But the basement was a little creepy, so—"

"We can check both?" Harley suggested.

"Yeah. Yeah good thinking." I agreed. "And you know that you don't have to help me right? I can do this on my own."

"Of course you can, River. But I wanna help out though, alright? So please let me. And I was wrong for assuming you were trespassing. You weren't."

"I'm sorry for appearing out of the blue like this, if I'm not welcome at any point ever, all you have to tell me is that you want me to leave and I promise I will." I explained. Harley nodded slowly. "And if you'd like to help me out that's okay too."

"I'm the current person living here, well one of. It's the least I could do." Harley said fearlessly.

She stumbled back startled when I took her into a tight hug. I felt tears coming on as I cried softly into her shoulder. She grasped me tightly.

"I feel you." She whispered, starting to cry too. I looked at her glossy eyes while tears poured down her cheeks.

"Is that a good or bad thing?" I whispered.

"Good thing. It's a good thing." Her lower lip trembled as she smiled sadly.

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝