Meetings to Spare

Start from the beginning

Speaking of M...

I glance to the desk, where my new book should be, only to find it empty.  I panic for a moment, rifling through the sloppy notes.  I know I was falling asleep last night, but how did I misplace a five inch thick book!?  I pause, thinking back.  Oh right.

I huff, annoyed at myself, as I pull it out of my inventory.  I slipped it there to hide it from Light.  I don't need him seeing the cover and getting suspicious.  Especially since he already caught me reading well into the night.

Hopefully he doesn't bring it up at this meeting.

I flip through to the page I was on, making sure to add a bookmark.  A soft sigh escapes.  I've barely made it through the first fifty pages.

I guess it'll have to do for now.

I hastily get ready, ignoring how groggy I feel.  After the pitiful sleep, my body is demanding more.

Well, deal with it.  I scold myself, thinking of Green, the Red Leader, and Professor Red.  Some people have it worse.

I didn't have time to eat, so I left with my stomach still growling.  Had I even had dinner last night?

I almost bump into Indigo on the way up the stairs.  Sometimes I forget that the leaders live in the citadel.  It doesn't take them as much time to get to the meeting room, which is why so many meetings are held in the morning.  He gives me a little wave, still yawning as he adjusts his leader's helmet.  I return the gesture as we walk up together.

"Sabre, Indigo Leader."  The Colorless Guard greets us as we enter the meeting room.  Sunlight is beginning to stream through the stained glass windows, lighting the room with a kaleidoscope of colors.  I hesitate for a second as Indigo sits in his throne.  If Light had night shift last night, would he even be at the meeting this morning?

I go to stand beside the chair, just in case.

As the other leaders quickly filter in, I realize this is not a good idea.  Why haven't I got a chair yet?  Every time I start to doze off, my legs buckle underneath me.  Thankfully, I manage to force myself awake before too many of the royals notice.  The ones that do shrug it off.

It's early for all of us.

Light Steve is the last to enter, blinking the sleep out of his eyes.  He glances at me the moment he comes in, a look of concern crossing his face.

"Sabre, do you want to take-"

"It's fine."  I interrupt quickly.  I don't need the other leaders thinking something is amiss.  Sitting in Light's chair would definitely do that.  Besides, I can tell that Light is also struggling to stay awake.

My white-haired friend sits down reluctantly.  He has to look over his shoulder to check on me, which he does constantly.  I discreetly move a little farther behind his chair, making it harder.

"Alright, let's start."  Yellow Leader grumbles.  He's not much of a morning person, and it shows.  Ironic, considering he was the one who scheduled this meeting.

Orange takes out a notepad, then glances toward Light and me.  Realizing that everyone is actually here for once, he slips it back into his inventory.  I feel kind of bad, but I know that what I'm working on is probably more important than whatever's going on at the Rainbow Kingdom.