Prologue

No ones POV

Screaming filled the medical room where Diana Kane was giving birth. screams of pain and misery. dear God when is it over, that was the only thought running through Dianas head as she pushed the small being out of her.

"Just one more push" Dr. Griffen said coaxing Diana through birth "you can do this breath, you are strong Diana."

Diana nodded focusing on breathing before giving one final big push. Out came a beautiful baby girl. Diana smiled lazily watching as Abby handed her daughter off to be cleaned as Dr. Griffin continued to make sure Diana was ok.

Someone promptly burst through the infirmary doors his eyes landing on his wife. He rushed to her taking her hand and kissing it gently. Diana smiled at her husband. Marcus Kane wasn't exactly a gentle person but for his wife he was basically a martyr. He loved her more then anything, that was until their bundle of joy was brought to them, The couple melted. The baby was happy and healthy.

"What's her name?" Abby asked ready to document their child's name along with her already recorded height and weight

"Leila" Diana said smiling at her husband "Leila Vera Kane" Diana had picked the name Leila loving how it sounded and what it meant. the name Leila  means daughter of the night (which felt fitting as they were in space where it almost always seemed to be dark/night).

Marcus chose the middle name (obviously) seeing as his mother's name was Vera he felt a piece of his daughters history should be attached to her.

And of course Kane the name given to her not only by her mother and father but by everyone you that held the name before her. Diana and Marcus stared lovingly at their daughter, their family was complete what more would they ever need. They had each other and with that they could conquer anything.

Time skip

Leila had been taken to an incubator while her parents rested. no one expected what came next. No one. Diana began to seize, the machine attached to her body going haywire. This tore Marcus from his sleep, Abby ran in followed by her assistant. Marcus began to panic watching the two doctors work. The world slowed as he watched his wife flatline.

Abby began compressions trying desperately to bring her friend back. Abby nodded towards Jackson who brought over electric pads as she injected Diana with a dose of epinephrine. Abby charged the pads placing them on Diana's chest.

"Come on, come on" Abby whispered to herself continuing to administer shocks. Jackson pulled Abby back shacking his head. Abby looked to Marcus her eyes glasses over. Tears were already flowing freely from his eyes. Diana was gone, just when their family was whole he lost his wife.

The day Diana died she took the gentle side of Marcus Kane with her. What limited amount of compassion he had left he used to raise Leila. But how was he supposed to raise a ghost, Leila and Diana looked so so similar. Every time Marcus looked at her he saw his wife and was reminded she was gone. He wasn't strong enough to push aside the pain he felt, so he did what he thought was right.He distanced himself from his daughter throwing himself so deep into his work that no one could bring him back.

The day Diana died Leila lost more than just her mother she lost most of her father too. It hurt a little going through all five stages of grief alone (once she was old enough to understand). She finally landed on acceptance at age 13 so she buried herself in her school work and she trained with the guard anything to keep her away from her empty home.

Leila followed every rule, was an exemplary student, even managed to become a skilled guard (even though that's not what she planned to do, she still trained as if it was).

Her life was good, well as good as it could be, but all good things come to an end. All lives are expendable. Leila Kane was no criminal but she was being sent to the ground like one.