high infidelity | 20

-

Viva kicked off her sneakers at the door and sighed in relief, Clay soon followed behind her and picked up said sneakers that flew across the living room.

"I call shower!" Viva darted to her bedroom and rummaged through her messy drawers for some warm pjs. Her room was a cozy type of mess. Not entirely disgusting. If anything, all the clothes on the floor were like insulation for her room!
She struggled for a bit to shove her drawer shut, but got it after a bit of tussling.

Clay yawned while placing their shoes on the shoe rack beside the door. Her chunky white Fila's next to his Dr. Martens. As things should be.
He slowly trudged to his room which was a polar opposite of Viva's. The walls were lined with strategically placed movie posters like Fight Club and La La Land.
They were placed with rulers to ensure they were evenly spread 4 inches away from each other.

He flicked the lights for his lonely floor lamp that gave off an ambient orange glow, lighting up his neat and fresh bedroom. The windows were always slightly cracked open to let the air circulate, and it was always a little cold in there.
He readied his own things for once Viva finished her shower, which wouldn't take very long. She took quick showers compared to his long meaningful ones.

Clay listened to Viva's usual humming as the running water bounced off of the bathtub. He found it comforting that she hummed and sang around the house. Even more so because she knew he didn't like when it was too silent. He said it felt dystopian.

He passed the time while catching up on his current sad read, "Every Last Word by Tamara I. Stone." Pretty interesting.

"Poppy's cut was soo gross!" Viva called out from the steamy bathroom while she slipped into a sweatshirt.

Clay shut his book and smiled. "Ugh, don't remind me!" He grimaced and propped his feet up onto the arm rest of their couch.
"I thought she cut her finger off for a second." He laughed as Viva emerged from the hallway into the living room.
"I think I would've been to blame for that."

She jumped over the couch and insisted to sit where Clay's head was. He lifted his neck slightly and let it back down into her lap.
"Your fault?" Viva leaned her head against the couch cushions. Her fingers twiddled with his large green curls.

He closed his eyes comfortably. This was their favorite part of the day. Almost everyday they'd sit together on the couch and just talk about whatever was on their mind. They'd switch off on who got to get their hair played with or scalp massaged.

"Something's up with her." Clay mumbled. Her hands soothed his mind instantly. They moved in meaningful patterns all across the right places.

"What do you mean?"

"The day Branch came back from the hospital. She was acting mad weird..." He yawned.

Viva's eyes narrowed in thought. She didn't exactly notice or recall anything about Poppy from that day, besides the fact that she didn't pick up the phone.
"I didn't notice." she shrugged, running her nails across his scalp.

"Naturally, I did." He said proudly, making her giggle. "So, I pressed her about it and she got hella tight and cut her- fuckin' finger off!" Clay laughed.

She snorted. "Seriously?" Viva began to trace her hands over his face and massage his temples gently.

"Nah she just wasn't paying attention but... I feel kinda bad. Like, I was prying into her business but I was tryna help..."

"It's okay, she'll open up eventually."

-

Poppy nuzzled her face up against her lovely boyfriend. He giggled tiredly, squeezing his arms around her.
"How's your finger?" He nodded towards her hand.