029. a work of art

Start from the beginning

"Is it?"

"Knock, knock."

"Seriously?"

"This is a good one. C'mon."

"Who's there?"

"Cash."

"Cash who?"

"No, thanks. I'll have some peanuts." Elwood chuckles.

"Funny." Riley nods.

"C'mon. You always used to laugh at those jokes."

"When I was eight."

"You're never too old for a good knock-knock joke."

"I'm not interested in talking about the weather or hearing a lame joke, alright? Let's just cut to the chase."

"What chase? What, uh...what do you think I'm here for, Riley?"

"The usual. You wanna tell me you've been working on yourself, that, that you've seen the light, that you realize what a jackass you've been my entire life, and now you want to make things right. And this time, this time will be different than the last time you did this. And the time before that. How am I doing so far?" She tilts her head and he places his hands over hers. "I really hope you didn't come all this way just to give me a speech about how worthless a father you've been." She pulls away. "Trust me, Elwood, that's old news."

"I'm trying to make amends. It's this program. Has steps."

"That's good, I guess."

"So, if you've got any chances left to give me, you know...show you that I'm here to stay. But only if you want me to stay."

                       •❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"That software's deeply flawed." Cage says from behind us. "It's easily fooled when the subject's an experienced liar."

"Yeah, I said the same thing." I tell her.

"Maybe I should crack open the source code and make some tweaks." Riley suggests.

"You could, yeah, but nothing beats the human eye.
Who's the subject?" Cage asks.

"No one important. Just some footage I found in the Phoenix library. I'm using it to give the software a little test drive."

"You do realize the irony of trying to lie to me right now, yeah?"

"It was worth a shot."

"So, this is family, most likely your father."

"Can you guys just help me figure out if he's lying?"

"Of course." She nods.

"Look, words are just words and mine can't be trusted." Elwood speaks. "I know this, but...if you can find it in your heart to give me another chance..."

"Okay, all I can see here is a father trying to get his daughter back. And for the record, from what I can see, he's telling the truth." She looks at me and I turn away with clenched jaw.

"Cage. Don't tell Jack."

"Yeah." She leaves and I wrap my arm around Riley's neck.

"I always miss your dad, but, today...today I really miss him." Riley inquires.

"I know." I slowly nod and she tightly hugs me.

"I still can't read it. The journal he wrote me."

"And that's okay. He knows that." I squeeze her. "I'm gonna go cut myself and go to the infirmary. Should be about eight minutes. It's enough time." I pull away.