Chapter 5 - A Forest Fight

Start from the beginning

"Oh, good point."

Ashlynn silently begged the critters to be quiet. As this rate Apple will hear -

"Hello? Is anyone in there?" Apple's voice sounded from outside the thicket which began to rustle as she tried to push the vegetation aside.

"Attack!" Pesky suddenly cried, "Protect Ashlynn, from the Rotten Apple!"

The squirrel leaped up and landed right on Apple's face. Apple yelped in surprise and stumbled back. Of course, though, a flock of doves came to try and help Apple and began pecking at Pesky to get him off of the princess.

Ashlynn bounced out of the thicket as well, knowing that there was no way Apple would not notice her now. Before anymore damage could be done, she grabbed Pesky by his little waist and picked him off of Apple. She then turned to the birds and said, "Stop! Stop pecking at him! Everything is okay!"

The flock of doves stopped, looking at her with puzzled looks. Apple brought her hands down from her face and looked around in guarded confusion before she registered Ashlynn.

"Wha - what? What just -" Apple stuttered.

"Everyone leave - yes, even you, Pesky - I need to talk to Apple alone for a minute."

The critters scatter, some a little more reluctant than others. Pesky being the last one to leave, throwing Ashlynn one last worried look over his shoulder before scurrying off.

For a moment, the two princess just looked at each other in utter, unnatural silence, like the whole forest has stopped what they are doing to watch. Which, given how gossipy forest critters tend to be, is entirely possible.

Ashlynn decided to break the silence. "What are you doing here, Apple?" It came out a bit harsher that Ashlynn had intended, but then again, Apple was making her late for her date.

Apple took a second before responding, "I saw... I saw that you where heading into the forest and I wanted to talk to you." Her voice sounded carefully forced chipper. If Ashlynn didn't know Apple as well as she did, she would have thought it was genuine.

"Well, sorry to disappoint you," Ashlynn replied, not feeling up for anymore of Apple's billy-goat shit today, "But I do not want to talk to you and I have somewhere else I really need to be."

"Ashlynn, come on!" Apple's voice went higher than usual, which would be impressive if Ashlynn wasn't so annoyed right now.

"Apple," Ashlynn snapped. She took a breath. Losing her temper would not help and will only make her voice rise, "I am not the mood to have any sort of conversation with you. I do not even want to hear an apology from you. I - flat out - am not ready to talk to you. So please, for fairy godmother's sake, leave. Me. Alone."

She then turned and began to walk away, not waiting for Apple's response. But, off course, Apple refused to accept that answer.

"Are you going to see Hunter?" Apple was doing her best to keep pace with Ashlynn, which was harder than she anticipated since 1) Ashlynn was more used to forest walks that she was and 2) Ashlynn was wear appropriate footwear (hiking boots), while Apple was still in her heels (pretty, but not at all appropriate for a walk through the woods).

"Not your business," Ashlynn returned, not bothering to even look over her shoulder.

"It is my business, Ashlynn!" Apple shouted back, which followed by a small yelp as she nearly tripped over a root.

Ashlynn whirled around to look Apple in the eyes again, "How in Ever After is who I date your business!" she retorted.

"Because," Apple regained her balance and straightened her back, before continuing in a softer voice, "you are my friend, and I want to save from heartbreak."

"So, your solution to 'save me from heartbreak' is to try an prevent me from spending time with my boyfriend?" She gave Apple an incredulous look, "How is that supposed to save me?" she could not keep the sarcasm out of her voice.

"Because it is never gonna work out anyway! Soon, the real Storybook of Legends is gonna be found and you are going to sign to be the next Cinderella and the two of you are gonna have to break up so why even bother!" Apple explained, sounding almost desperate, "You two are only setting yourselves up for heartbreak anyway! At least if you break up now, you won't have so much emotional baggage!" she took a step towards Ashlynn, who was just frozen in shock. She continued with a softer, more sympathetic sounding voice, "Why can't you see that I am only trying to look out for you?" She reached a hand out like she was gonna hug Ashlynn.

Ashlynn reared back away from Apple. "What, the actual, fairy fuck!" She looked at this girl who was, supposedly one of her oldest friends and felt... scared.

Ashlynn squared her shoulders, pushed her fear down and looked at Apple right in the eye, "Apple, let me set this story straight: 1 - you do not have any control over who I chose to date. Period. That is none of your business and you do not need to get involved in it. 2 - who says that I am gonna be the next Cinderella?"

Apple's eyes went wide. Ashlynn continued before she could say anything.

"Whether or not I decide to retell my family's story is mine and my family's business, not yours. You worry about your story, and I will worry about mine. And if I don't want my role, so what? I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be willing to take my place! Plus, it is a very popular story - it's not like in our great-great-great-grandma's generation where everything was told verbally. We write most of this stuff down now a days! It has been retold a thousand different ways! It's not like the story will just suddenly disappear if no one reenacts it!"

Ashlynn finished her rant and looked at Apple, who looked in shock. Her mouth opened and closed, but no words came out. Finally, she managed a choked out, "What... what about your kingdom? Your throne? What will your parents say when they hear that you are - that you and Hunter... a Rebel..?"

"We will cross that troll bridge when we get to it. And it will be my family's business - Not. Yours."

Apple just stared at Ashlynn, not saying anything. Not having anything more to say to her, Ashlynn turned and walked off - until she walked right into a certain broad-shouldered Rebel.

"Hey," Hunter gently placed his warm hands on her shoulders, his face etched with concern, " Are you okay? Pesky alerted me that something might be up."

Ashlynn's gaze went to the little squirrel hiding behind Hunter's left leg. He gazed up at her with an expression that could make anyone melt.

Ashlynn looked back up at her boyfriend, and everything that Apple just said came rushing back into her mind. Not having the words or energy to explain, Ashlynn just set her face into Hunter's shoulder and began to cry. Hunter immediately began rubbing her back and holding her close, not needing words to understand what she needed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, in a dorm in Ever After High's girl's wing, another princess slept, her snores echoing off of her walls. But while she continued to sleep, her after school rest was anything but peaceful, as she listened to her best friends fight in the woods.

And the signature foosh of magic. But from where, she did not know.