Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)

Start from the beginning

"What?" Danny's head snapped towards me when I told him I was leaving, "Where are you going?"

Danny's face looked alarmed, and unsettled.

"I really need to get home. I have so much to do tomorrow." I yelled back at him, still walking towards the shore. It was true; I had to start packing for New York.

Danny leaps up quick and runs after me, "Like what? Spend a little time with me."

I kept walking, but I feel his strong hand gently pulling me back towards him. "Dan, I have to pack for New York. We are leaving the day after tomorrow and I haven't packed, plus it's getting late."

Danny's face grows confused, "New York?"

I had totally forgotten, I didn't tell Danny about me going to New York with Grant this weekend. "Yeah..." My voice got quiet as I started explaining the trip with Grant I had planned. The trip to New York, and an elite party with his editors didn't actually sound like business, like I made it out to be.

"So you are still seeing that guy?" Danny's voice was quiet and angry. I couldn't tell if he was actually mad at the fact, or if he was jealous.

I snap my glance to Danny's eyes with disbelief. Danny's angry voice confused the hell out of me. He had just referred to Grant as that guy? "What? No... I'm not seeing Grant anymore. It's just a business trip." I sighed trying to explain to him about Grant and me, "Danny we are just fri-"

Before I could finish my sentence Danny finishes it for me, "Friends with Benefits?" Danny drops my arm to let me go. This time, he walks away from me. I didn't exactly know what to think. "I'm not stupid Sam, your fucking him, just like your fucking me. I never thought you would be the slut running around here."

I felt a jab at me heart as he said I was fucking Grant just like I was fucking him. I had never felt so insulted in my entire life. Tears were already streaming down my face.

I follow Danny as he walked off. "Why would it matter anyways Danny, if I was fucking him?" I yelled. "You act like I'm your side piece of ass half the time. And the other half you spend filling my ears up with all this bull shit about leaving Charlie." I turn to leave him there alone, "And by the way Danny, You're the one this slut, has ever fucked."

He stops in his tracks and turns around and walks quickly back towards me and laughs sarcastically. "Why would it matter? Really Samantha?" Danny grabs my arm and twirls me back into him. His other hand grasped my arm tightly. I almost felt him lift me off the ground he was shaking me so hard. "What do you not understand about I love you?" For a moment I was scared, it was the first time that I actually thought he would raise his hand and strike me hard. "You don't fucking know, how hard this is. To be engaged with someone, but to be completely in love with someone else and to know you're going to end up breaking someone's heart in the end either way?" Danny's grip tightens, "Ill be the bad guy either way. All of my god damn time is spent on how I could actually get out of this the easy way. And without hurting someone." He screamed at the top of his lungs.

I know my eyes burned with tears, and were terrified of Danny at this moment. He must have seen the look in my eyes, because he gently let go of my arms and pulled me into a hug but I push him away hard. Danny's hissy fit, had literally just scared the crap out of me. I wasn't used to this kind of stuff, I didn't have a male figure in my life to see that kind of stuff going on. My heart pounded as I turned to talk away from Danny.

I couldn't possibly see how Danny was so sweet and loving just an hour earlier, but now he was acting crazy. His words burned into the back of my mind. I was always told if you loved something or someone, you fought for it no matter what. Those were Izzy's words. Danny didn't want to fight, he just wanted it to be easy. That's not how life is though.

Before I got too far, I turned back and stood there. I looked at Danny who was sitting on the rock with his head in his hands, "One day Danny, you are going to have to grow up and learn that everything isn't supposed to just be handed to you. You have to fight for what you want, because things aren't always going to go your way."

Danny stayed in silence, not moving or looking up at me.

"So, you want things to be easy Dan? Fine. Stay with Charlie, don't hurt her. Why would it matter if you hurt me just once more, because you're getting to be pretty good at it." I wiped the tears from my face, and sniffled a bit. "If the easy way out is what you want, then there you go."

I stood there in that one spot on the beach looking back at Danny for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I turned back and running back towards the Inn.

The wind on my face was cold everything around me just felt cold. My body felt empty, and my head felt like it was a thousand pounds. I couldn't explain the way my heart felt though, it was like someone had ripped it out of my chest and just tossed it into a garbage can. The feeling sucked, I felt like I didn't even have a heart. The pit of my stomach turned with nervousness and my whole body shook as I finally made it back to the Inn. I couldn't breathe one bit as I sat myself in the sand and cried even more. My eyes were blurry from the tears and my ears were stopped up from the wind as I lay in the sand. It was dark and soundless. Images to Danny were still floating through my mind though.

My breath had finally calmed down to normal, but my heart was still racing. The tears still rolled down my face slowly as I looked out into the ocean. Everything had been great earlier, but when Danny found out I was going to New York with Grant everything went downhill. Danny managed to call me a slut, in a matter of 15 minutes after he had screwed me.

"Samantha?" A familiar voice approached me from behind, "Are you okay?" I knew exactly who it was from there nurturing personality. It was Grant.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see him; though I couldn't manage to say anything as I turned and looked at him. I started sobbing even more.

Grant quickly ran over to me, and put his arms around me tightly, "Samantha, calm down! What happened?" He stroked his hand through my hair and caressed my cheek softly. Grants presence was making things a lot better, I don't know how but he was. It wasn't that I liked Grant, it was just he was good at making someone feel a lot better.

I lay my head comfortably in his lap as I finally stopped crying. My mouth still couldn't manage any words though. I laid there with no thoughts, words, or actions. I felt lifeless.

Grant could tell I didn't want to speak because he laid sat there in silence also not trying to find out what had happened. He would never know how much I really appreciated him.

We both laid there for in silence for almost an hour. My mind drifted over everything as I closed my eyes seeing nothing but darkness.

I was half way asleep when I felt Grant lean down and tell me, "Everything will be alright sweet girl." His whisper was so soft in my ear. I drifted off into a deep sleep finally feeling calm and rested.

Let me know what you guys think 

Ill take any advice I can get!!!!!!

Thanks so much for reading!!!!!