Sophie. 0 - Prologue

The night had started much like any other, from me sneaking out from the clutches of my sister and into the dead of night, the feeling of liberation that the nightlife has to offer.

Unbeknownst to me, tonight was something that would forever change my life right at the moment I met her.

She stood in the background, going unnoticed by the others after all a house party would end up being chaotic and there would be no way of knowing who should or shouldn't be there.

I had an inkling, like an itch that refused to give way, no matter how hard I scratched away at it. I knew for a fact that she shouldn't be here.

I smiled to myself, it was time to take the risk of a lifetime. If it failed, all that could happen was being kicked from a party I was invited to right at the last minute, showing that I was at the bottom of the barrel when it came to choices.

Fuck it...

Taking a deep breath, I steadied my nerves, throwing back a shot of whatever was on the kitchen table before approaching her.

"Hey," I said, my words tumbling out of my drunken mouth.

She looked at me in shock, before a wry smile crept across her face, that smile, god that smile, it tore down my defenses in an instant.

It had me fumbling over myself as I tried to compose myself.

"Hello," she said sweetly, her gaze darted all over my figure, before locking onto my eyes where they stayed, as if they were stuck on me like glue.

Her gaze made me feel as if I were the only one in the room, the only one that mattered.

I've drank too much...

"Come here often?" I asked stupidly.

She laughed.

It was the kind of laugh that felt like it was delicately handcrafted and finely tuned for me and only me.

"No, this is my first time. Never been to a party before," she laughed awkwardly, keeping her voice hushed, making sure no one would hear her.

I cocked my head to the side, confused and relieved that my suspicion was on point, I decided to take a chance as I asked, "Were you invited?"

Her eyes opened in alarm and started to panic, "N-No..."

Her innocence and panic were evident, something inside me woke up for the first time, an urge that consumed my sense of reasoning.

I smiled, "Would you like to come to a party with me?"

Her panic died instantly, "Are you sure?"

I nodded, the feeling growing stronger as I got closer to her.

She flashed me a smile that could be used as an example of a perfect smile, I wanted to freeze time, and take a picture of it - just to keep it with me for the rest of my life.

She looked me in the eyes and gave her answer, "Then, I would love to!"

"My name is Sophie by the way. Can I get you a drink?" I asked as I held my hand out in jest, but much to my surprise, she grabbed it tightly before pressing her lips against my knuckles.