Chapter Three: The Monster Within

Start from the beginning

Valenus, in disbelief, exclaimed, "Come back? That can't be."

"Yes," the woman continued with a smirk, "there's a reason you're here. Until you find out why and change what needs to be changed, you'll be brought back to this world, Wyaninious. But be warned, if you die here, you die in your world too. You must survive."

She added, "You can leave this cell if you want, but many stay. It's safe here, with a roof over your head and away from dangers. The creature that brought you here is called Salalinus, they draw the dangers away. You're lucky it didn't see you as a threat, or you could have been killed."

The woman sized up Valenus with a laugh. "I see why they thought you were helpless. You probably wouldn't survive a night out there," she said.

As the woman prepared to leave, raising her hand just about to snap her fingers, Valenus quickly asked, "What is your name, how can I find you if I need more advice?"

She smirked and replied, "My name is Eleantra, and you will never find me unless I choose to be seen."

With those final words, she snapped her fingers.

Suddenly, smoke appeared, and an eagle emerged, perching on the stone window of the cell.

The eagle stared at Valenus, gave a sharp cry, and then flew away.

Valenus's eyes widen then looked to where Eleantra was as the smoke clear she was nowhere to been seen.

Valenus shook his head, gathering his thoughts, and carefully stood up.

He glanced at the man who had nearly stabbed him, feeling relieved to see him fast asleep.

Quietly, Valenus walked towards the gate and, to his relief, found the door unlocked.

He opened it and stepped out of the cell.

Valenus paused for a moment, contemplating whether to heed Eleantra's advice to stay for safety.

However, he decided against it and left the room.

Peeking through the door, he checked for any dangers.

Surprisingly, he only saw an empty stone corridor, with an icy wind brushing his face.

As Valenus cautiously walked down the corridor, he felt a cool breeze pass by him.

Suddenly, he noticed a dark smoke at the corner of his vision.

Valenus' face turned pale, and he held his breath in fear as he realised there was a figure standing behind him.

Valenus saw the same dark smoke he had encountered the night before, but now he could make out something more within it: faint outlines of human skeleton.

Terrified, Valenus shouted, "Please let me go!"

The smoke around the figure, known as Salalinus, thickened and turned slightly red.

Valenus's legs shook, and he crouched down, keeping his head low.

Valenus stared at Salalinus and raised his hands above his head, pleading, "Please don't harm me, let me go, I beg you."

In response, Salalinus moved closer.

Its smoke deepened to a darker red and it leaned in, its face just inches from Valenus's.

Its eyes glowed red.

Valenus, petrified, closed his eyes, trembling as he awaited his fate.

Then, a cold breeze passed by, and Valenus opened his eyes to find that Salalinus had disappeared.

Valenus quickly got up, ran out of the castle, and sprinted across the open field, ignoring the warnings he had received in a letter from Val.

Valenus suddenly heard a loud roar, similar to one he had heard before.

Ahead, the trees were shaking.

To his horror, he saw a giant wolf charging towards him, its sharp teeth bared.

In a flash, he found himself caught in the wolf's mouth as it ran along the cliff's edge, the roar growing louder.

Fireballs shot up from below the cliff, piercing through the thick mist.

One of them hit the wolf while Valenus was still in its jaws.

The wolf howled in pain, and Valenus was thrown from its mouth, falling off the cliff.

As he fell, Valenus thought of his parents.

He realized he might never see them again, and they would have to cope with the loss of their son.

With his last breath, he cried out, "I'm sorry, Mom and Dad, that I couldn't be there for you any longer."

Valenus' words faded as the mist enveloped him, and he fell into its shadows, bracing for his fate.

Notes from the Author:

I am looking for reviewers for my fantasy novel called The Swords of unforgotten Memories, if you would a free ecopy of the Novel and in hopes you will leave a review and help an indie out, please click link below to sign up and get the free book.

https://booksprout.co/reviewer/review-copy/view/151664/the-swords-of-the-unforgotten-memories-secrets-beneath-the-ripples

Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you are enjoying the story so far.

Would love to know your feedback especially for this chapter. I want to grow as writer and the readers ie you. Your opinion matters. So please provide feedback if you have time.

For advanced chapters, discord access, voting etc please check out my Ream account:

Please follow me for updates when the next chapter will be available.

Please sign up to my newsletter via my website www.sheenaoloughlin.com