Chp.I

Zari Hampson threw the most killer parties.

        Now, I didn't like the girl one bit. Oh no, on a normal day I couldn't stand her narcissist and negative ass, but I couldn't deny the fact that her parties made sense. Basically everyone in our set were going and then her boytoy from Ss3 and some of his friends were also going to be there. Usually it was a very strict invite, consisting of only we SS2. Zari was popular, but she was also picky. She didn't talk or socialize with just anyone.

        Zari's father was a politician, an equally narcissistic and arrogant man. They were wealthy ofcourse, maybe that's why they felt they were better than everyone else. Because they had the money, so much money that it looked and felt like blood money.

        Getting ready for Zari's parties was a thrill. Picking the right outfit was more crucial than ever because at her party, your appearance wasn’t just noticed - it was studied, critiqued and gossiped about. That particular night, I decked up in a little black dress and the classic smoky-eye look, topping it with a sleek high ponytail. Meeting my best friend at Berger, we eagerly jumped onto a keke Napep that took us straight to Magodo phase 1, where the Narcissistic queen lived.

        As we arrived at the party, I took note of how everything looked lavish. Zari was showing off. It was an exquisite party, in an exquisite location. The sight of the elaborate chandeliers, with diamonds shimmering, literally took my breath away. For a moment I was left dazed and stood still by the doorway to take in all the glitz and glamour. My best friend pinched me and told me to quit being a spectator,

        "Act like you've seen it before, girl," she warned, snapping me back to reality.

        How could I act like I'd seen it all before when I hadn't?

        Zari Hampson had it all and I at times envied her for it. I envied her lifestyle, not her or her smelly attitude. I always fantasized about living in houses that looked like castles, surrounded by workers and big cars, just like Zari Hampson. But unfortunately my life wasn't at all like my fantasies. It was simple and plain.

        It was my first time actually stepping into Zari's home. I always tried avoiding her parties and Zari didn't seem to care if I came or not, but today I didn't really have much of a choice.

        I was here for two reasons but Aarin, my best friend, was only aware of my first. I'd like to keep it that way.

        "There she is." Aarin tapped my arm, nodding her head towards a direction. I followed her gaze and watched as Zari Hampson came down the S shaped stairs wearing a dress so short and heels so tall, braids that passed her bum and almost swept the floor and her light skinned face caked with make up and glitter.

        Zari Hampson. Even her name held an air of contemptible appeal that perfectly matched her personality, oozing in confidence and arrogance. And yet, we all sought her out when the lights went low and the beat pumped through the veins of the night.

        During daylight hours, she was someone I'd gladly pass by without acknowledging, much to her probable disdain. Every step Zari took seemed a spectacle, like she believed she was walking on a catwalk. Her infectious laugh filled any room she entered, her very presence attracting the undivided attention of those around. Yet it was an attention I felt she never fully deserved.

        I narrowed my eyes at her as she chatted and giggled with a group of boys across the room. I walked away without waiting to ask if Aarin was coming with me. I didn't need to turn around to know she was following me.

        "I'm only here because you insisted, you know I don't like that girl one bit." I grumbled as a took a huge gulp from the drink I was handed by the bartender. It burnt my throat as it went down and my face was only scrunched up In discomfort for a few seconds before I went for another gulp.