Lin

Me and the O'Connells arrived at a small hotel, an old Chinese man was at the front desk.

"My parents and my aunt have reservations for a few nights, the name's O'Connell," Alex said in Chinese.

"I'm sorry, there's only one room left and it's a single bed, your aunt is going to have to bunk with another guest until she leaves."

"Your Chinese has improved, I'm proud of you," I said.

I turned to the innkeeper and talked in Chinese.

"I understand sir, as long as I have a place to sleep."

The innkeeper led me to the room. It seemed empty but the lights were on.

"Ni hao," I said.

Maybe it was empty. I sat my suitcases on the couch. At that moment, I was sensing someone behind me. I shot around to see a young woman, she pointed a daggar at me.

"I mean you no harm, the innkeeper led me here, all the other rooms were full," I said in English.

"How can I be sure?"

"I'm a nice young girl who's with old friends to deliver an artifact to it's rightful place. We were called here by the Chinese government. "

"The Eye of Shangri-La?"

I nodded. She put her daggar down.

"I see, your friends with the O'Connell family. I trust you...for now."

"Why 'for now,' that means you really don't. Look, I'll only be here a couple days."

"Me too. I'm on a mission just like you. I watched you down there with them...Alex...referred to you as his aunt."

"I've been a part of their family for over twenty years, I've been like his aunt since he was born. Wait...you know his name?"

"Yes, I've been watching him too, and his discovery of the tomb."

"Tomb, that's his big discovery!?" I chuckled.

"Not just any tomb, the very first emperor of China...the one who had the great wall built."

I froze, I didn't know my father was buried in a tomb, I ran off as soon as the incident happened, lived my own life since.

"That's actually an amazing discovery."

She looked at me for a moment before holding out her hand.

"Lin."

"Daiyu."

We shook hands.

"I know"

My eyes widened.

"I know who you really are...that's why I didn't trust you at first."

She sat on the bed.

"I mean no harm," I assured her.

"I know."

"Ok...I've never been recognized for my past life in hundreds of years. I never thought I'd come back here again."

"You knew you had to sometime soon."

I was comfortable with sleeping on the couch, I slept in unusual places before. Very soon, I was asleep and dreaming of my past again.

*Flashback #2, Our Empire*

Within months, all of China's kingdoms were crunched into one by my father and he became Emperor, he referred to himself as The Dragon Emperor as if his ego could get any bigger. General Ming, an old friend of Father's and a second father to me, spent quite a bit of time in the palace than before. Father was training with a Wuxing master, Wuxing is the five elements pretty much, I joined him occasionally. I talked General Ming into training by dueling.