014. miss america

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, taking out fifteen assassins in one room and catching a .38 to the chest is a cakewalk to you. To us, it almost sounds like a myth." Bozer tells me.

"Depends which kind of myth. That part is very important." I cross my arms as he continues to just look at me. "Okay, fine. I could maybe pull some strings and get us all down there for a trip. If you guys want."

"Hold on, hold on. Are you serious?" He grips my shoulder. "You can get us into the White House?"

"If you keep announcing it, not as much."

"Right, sorry, sorry." He exhales. "Oh, man. Guys, we're going to the White House."

"Bozer." McKenna whispers as a woman walks past us.

"Shutting up now." He nods.

"So, Jack's evaluation seems to be going well." I look at Jack and Matty through the glass.

"I can't believe we all have to do one of those. Can't she just fire me based on my résumé?"

"Relax." Mac tells him. "These two have some sort of...history. He claims she's the reason he left the CIA."

"Any idea what happened between them?" Evan questions.

"No, he won't tell me."

"Which means whatever it is, it's gotta be his fault." Riley nods.

"It also means that unless Matty was your station chief for eighteen months in South America, these evaluations are nothing to worry about." I shove my hands in my jean pockets.

"Oh, really?"

"Yep."

"Must be nice being good at everything and being the only one Matty might actually like." Bozer replies.

"I'm not good at everything, Wilt." I turn to him.

"Yeah, and I can fight."

"You can. You just have to learn how and when to do so. You'll get there. Promise." I nod. "So, what's up?" I turn to Mac.

"With that?" Mac turns to me.

"You know what. Postponing your evaluation?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Postponed?" McKenna furrows her eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah. Twice." I grip Mac's shoulder and then lean my arm over it. "First, a coffee machine mysteriously catches fire. Then, a well-placed gum wrapper puts Phoenix's entire security system on lockdown."

"I know, it's weird. I wonder how that got wedged in there." Mac turns back to me and I smirk, shaking my head.

"So maybe we aren't the only ones feeling a little nervous about these evaluations." McKenna crosses her arms.

"Can't stall forever." My phone goes off.

"You can." Mac tells me.

"Because I know how to do it right." I take out my phone.

"Just got a text." Bozer takes out his phone and so do the others.

"From Matty Webber." Riley's face drops.

"Get your asses in here." Evan reads and I make my way inside.

"Everything okay in here?" Mac follows behind me and I take out my bag of hazelnuts from my hoodie pocket.

"Yeah, super." Jack grins. "We were just reminiscing about old times, weren't we?"

"Yeah." Matty replies and I hold the door open for the others before closing it.