Chapter 7: The Not-So-Fun House

"Show me the bottom floor again," I said, hands working to tie my hair back.

Leon idly clicked the arrow button, bringing up the lower level schematics of the warehouse again. It looked like your typical run of the mill metal warehouse, but there could have easily been changes made to the floor plan since the last time the state requested a blueprint.

Leon's attention was focused on Chris, who reviewed orders and our plan of action with the rag-tag team of BSAA operatives Isaac had managed to round up. They all looked wide-eyed, perhaps because they were being lectured to by the great Chris Redfield, or perhaps they knew they were about to be led into a mysterious, man-made circle of Hell.

While I could no longer relate to the fear of the unknown, I suppose I could relate to the lecturing part.

Chris hadn't spoken a word to me since leaving the hospital room, and was more than content to ignore me as we made our landing.

The metal alloy in the disbursement tool used at Rebecca's lab was strange in only one regard, the iron used was mixed with trace amounts of sediment only sourced from two warehouses in the whole US.

We were on our way to the site in Michigan, the warehouse closest to all of the attacks

Chris' voice echoed in the background as I took one more sweeping glance over the blueprint on the laptop before closing it.

"Any questions?" Chris asked as the helicopter chugged, fighting gravity as it came closer and closer to the ground. The metal groaned as it dropped lower and lower, the sound of the air resistance beneath us picking up.

No one spoke, with the exception of Nadia and D.C. flanking Chris. They looked like a pack of wolves leading a group of golden retriever puppies.

All the agents looked greener than I would have liked, a few of them chewing on their cheeks or bouncing their knees up and down as they looked from Chris to the door at the back.

I didn't have time to interrogate Isaac on these people's resumes, not that we had the luxury of being picky right now–not when Arias was doing god knows what to Rebecca.

"Check your corners and stay close to the walls. Do not step anywhere you aren't 100% certain is safe."

Because we already knew Arias liked to rig his safe havens with traps that turn men into chunks of meat on the floor, but we weren't about to tell them that and shatter whatever courage these green beans had mustered.

"We'll split up into teams of two, but for god's sake guard your man." His voice was heavy on the last few words. "Let's make this quick and clean."

As if the vehicle beneath us had just been waiting for him to finish, it finally touched the ground and the back hatch began to slowly open.

Leon stood up, stopping next to me as we watched the scenery beyond leak into existence. "Want to be my partner?"

I spared a glance at him, "Even with the risk of turning your pretty blonde head gray?"

"You make me gray, and I drive you nuts. I'd say that's the making of a killer ensemble."

His voice was light and his cadence was clean, but I could see the worry behind his eyes.

I only gave him a half smile, "Fine. You can come with me since you're so scared."

"My hero," He cooed, a smile pulling at his mouth even though his eyes refused to brighten.

"Quick and quiet," Chris repeated as he stepped out from behind us and headed for the small grove we'd landed in. The men all uttered their understanding, with Nadia and D.C. staying just behind their leader.