"You're annoying." I chided through my poorly restrained grin.

    "Yeah," Leo answered, tossing another small piece of balled up parchment at me and making it go right down the front of my shirt. "You too."

***

I guess it really wasn't surprising that Malcolm had no recollection of what happened the other night. I was kind of grateful for that. I didn't want to deal with his bullshit anymore. I could heal from the aftermath of that night a lot quicker if I didn't have to worry about Malcolm whispering threats in my ear to deter me from doing anything about it.

    He would get what's coming to him. One way or another. Karma was just building up steam right now. He won't know what hit him when the time finally comes, and he pays for all that he's done.

    "Hey! Kennedy." Henry Quinton, one of our Beaters nudged me with his bat as he trudged off the pitch beside me. "Hey, do you have any more of that extra sticky broom wax? I wanna see how it works with my new bat grip with the rain."

    "Damnit, I literally just took it out of my bag before I left for practice today." I huffed a groan. "I can give it to you at breakfast tomorrow morning if that works for you." I offered.

    "Yeah, that's great." Henry smiled kindly. "Thanks, Cam. I'll see you tomorrow." He rustled my rain-soaked hair before he veered left into the boy's locker room, and I veered right into the girl's.

    "See you tomorrow!" I called over my shoulder casually.

    Henry really was a good guy. When he wasn't around Malcolm, that is.

    I don't know what it is about raging douche bags that make every man around them act like they share one asshole zombie mob brain, but scientists need to study it immediately and get to working on a cure. Malcolm seemingly brought out the worst in everyone around him, and to be that awful has to be some sort of skill.

Why the fuck did I even date him in the first place? Was I that desperate?

You know what--it doesn't matter. I got away from him, and that's what's important here. Fuck Malcolm Whitt.

    I stripped off my rain-soaked, muddy, grassy practice uniform, took a nice hot shower, and changed into comfier clothes all before the sun was fully set. I always hated walking back to the castle in the complete dark by myself. I probably had around 10 minutes of sunlight left right now, which was perfect.

    It brought me relief seeing that there was a small group of girls also walking up to the castle a couple yards ahead of me. So at least I wasn't completely alone.

    I headed out out of the locker room building, which leads directly into the trail up to the castle, and almost instantly felt a hand gently clasp mine.

    I gasped, whipped around and pulled my hand back in a flash. Instantly my whole body tensed, and I feared that it was Malcolm again.

    "It's just me."

    And just like that, my fear disappeared with the gentle breeze that blew back a few strands of my damp hair.

    "I'm starting to think I need to put a bell on you." I crossed my arms over my chest with a huff that was mostly the result of relief.

    "Sorry." he smirked handsomely.

    "What are you doing here?" I asked, knitting my brows together gently. "Were you sent to spy on our practice or something? Because if so, you're failing at the whole 'undercover' thing."

    He chuckled with a small shake of his head.

    "I'm not here undercover, I promise." He put his hands in front of him in surrender. "I was out for a run and thought I'd wait and walk back with you."

    "Why?"

    "Don't want you walking in the dark by yourself." Leo shrugged, a whisper of what I perceived as shyness in his body language.

    My cheeks warmed.

    "O-oh..." I blinked rapidly in surprise. I wasn't expecting that. "I mean–thank you. That's...very considerate of you. Really."

    "Don't mention it." He gave a small, gracious shake of his head. "I'll carry your bag so we can get back before the next round of rain starts." he stepped up to me, motioning for me to hand him the heavy duffle bag weighing down my shoulder.

    I paused, squinting and eyeing him curiously. I kept my duffle bag on my shoulder.

    His gaze met mine and he pursed his lips, playfully rolling his eyes. "I'm not gonna let you drag your bag across the ground in the rain and mud because you're too proud to let me help you, Kennedy. Give it here."

    I paused for one heavy deep breath before I finally relented, and lugged the strap of my heavy bag off my shoulder. Before it could hit the ground, Leo grabbed hold of it, easily putting the strap over his shoulder like it weighed nothing.

    "Now was that that bad?" he smirked down at me, that pretty-boy arrogance dusting his features and making butterflies start fluttering in my stomach out of nowhere.

    I rolled my eyes with a small grin, turning away from him and starting up the path. I could feel his eyes lingering on me as I did so.

    "Get that smirk off your face, Malfoy." I blushed, grateful he couldn't see the stupid smile on my face that was seemingly impossible to hide.

    "I don't know what smirk you're talking about." he mumbled back quick and unconvincing, unable to conceal the smile that I could hear in his tone. I wish I could see if he was blushing, too.