009. almond roca on the run, son!

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, look, Bozer, it's just standard practice in cases like this to do this-"

"Standard practice?" Bozer cuts Mac off. "And who are you? Yesterday, you was my friend, today it's like I don't even know you."

"Mister Bozer, if you could sit back down." Patty requests. "We'll start by reviewing your employment history."

"You know what?" He sits back down. "I been here long enough. I'm going home, okay? Have your people call my people and, uh, we'll get something on the books." He gets up and opens the door to reveal Aaron, one of our security guards. "Great. John Cena works here, too. Look, I know my rights. Okay? You can't keep me here forever."

"Technically, we can."

"Can I talk to you outside?" I get up and Patty and Mac follow me outside. I give a nod to Aaron and he heads inside before I close the door. "Look, I know we have a job to do. And while we are doing that job, we can't treat Wilt like he's some suspect."

"Unfortunately, Lina, he's been exposed to confidential intelligence, which makes him a national security threat. Just like McKenna, and Evan."

"No, that's not the same thing. McKenna and Evan have been running this game with me for years. Long before I met any of you. Wilt is Mac's friend. And he's mine. I wouldn't have been able to stop Murdoc without him. I'd rather quit the Phoenix today than see him treated like he did something wrong. I saw it unfold once before and I don't wanna see it happen ever again. So you have a choice, I don't." I walk past her.

           •❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"Good morning." Eli says as I open my eyes.

"Where's-"

"Mac and everyone else are okay. We all agreed to let you sleep. You needed it."

"Thanks." I pull the blanket off me and slowly sit up, then rubbing my eyes.

"How's your arm?"

"Itches like a bitch." I pull up my t-shirt sleeve and he unravels the dirty bandage off of it.

"Maybe now this will stop the itching." Eli applies ointment to my stitched cut.

"You're the EMT, it better work." I tell him and he scoffs, now wrapping my arm in a new bandage. "You don't have to do this, you know? Work here because I do. You don't have to go through all of this because I put up with it."

"I'm aware. But like I said, I've been apart from you for too long."

"That's not true." I pull my t-shirt sleeve down.

"I never visited you in juvie."

"Because you were in therapy, for obvious reasons, Eli." I toss my hoodie onto the counter, not feeling like wearing it today.

"And because I was ashamed."

"Of what? Of not telling me?"

"No. Of not killing that bastard myself." He closes his kit.

"Eli." I place my hand on his shoulder. "You were just a kid."

"So were you. And when you found out, you ended it on the same night. But me? I just...I just took it."

"Because he threatened to kill me if you didn't." I tear up. "You took months of that and I didn't even know about it. You were protecting me. And I was just returning the favor." I feel the small bandage on my cheek and the cut on my lip.

"No, I'm the man. You're the woman. I'm supposed to protect you. In the most non-misogynistic way possible."

"I know what you mean." I chuckle. "But you didn't need to protect me."