THREE

HOUSE  OF SILVER:  THREE

    In  the  capital,  there  was  a  string  of  festive  lights.  Fireworks  flew  high  above  the  city,  then  rained  down  like  shooting  stars.

On  the  streets  bright  faced  children  scurried  around,  laughing  and  shoving  each  other  with  hands  full  of  sweets.

    They  mirrored  the  excitement  of  the  men  and  women  sitting  at  different  ends,  looking  into  jewelry  stores  with  the  shadow  of  a  lover  in  mind.

In  the  palace  halls,  a  banquet  was  in  full  swing.  Tables  upon  tables  of  food  and  wine  and  men  and  women  in  bright  colored  fabrics.  Maids  and  servants  scurrying  around  to  attend  to  the  need  of  each  guest.

    The  king  sat  at  the  head  of  it  all.  He  cleared  his  throat  and  raised  a  golden  cup  filled  with  liquor,  "to  Aspyn  Silver,  my  nephew  and  his  bride,  princess  Charlotte.  By  this marriage  we  seal  the  union  of  the  old  house  to  the  new.  The Silver's  to the  Harrington's!"

A  loud  uproar seized  the  hall.  Then  an  applause.  Amidst  this  all,  no  one  said  what  they  actually  thought.  Where  was  the  bride  and  the  groom? 

How  could  they,  for  the  life  of  Eldard,  be  absent  from  their  own  wedding  banquet?

It  could  only  mean  two  things,  they  speculated.  Either  they  were  a  couple  eagerly  in  love  with  each  other... Or  there  was,  indeed,  already  trouble  in  paradise.

But  matters such  as  these  were  best  kept  to  the  heart  and  only  spilled  in  secret  before  family  members  and  close  friends... Who  knew  what  could  happen  with  this  creatures?

    The  king  leaned  to  his  right  and  whispered  to  his  brother,  "where  on  Earth  is  your  son,  Gilbert?  Would  he  desert  even  his  own  marriage  ceremony?"

    "Forgive  me,  my  Lord,"  Gilbert  Silver  responded,  "am  certain  he  was  only  here  a  moment  ago."

    "Does  he  not  know  the  significance  of  this  marriage?  Would  he  rather  the  kingdom  be  thrown  into  chaos  once  more?"

    "You  know  how  it  is  with  young  people  who  are  newly  married–"

The king  leaned  back  and  downed  the  wine  from  his  cup  completely,  "there  is  a  chance  that  he  may  be  my  heir  one day,  but  how  am  I  to  trust  him  if  he  keeps  acting  this  way?"

Gilbert  swallowed  to  keep  the  fury  tingling  in  his  chest.  But  the  moment  he  parted  his  lips  to  speak,  a  servant  approached  them.

    "Your  highness,"  he  bowed  to  the  king,  "there's  an  issue  with  the  princess  on  the  upper  balcony."

When  the  men  seemed  unmoved,  he  added,  "it's  a  matter  of  urgency  as  she's  threatened  to  jump  to  her  death  in  the  face  of  prince  Aspyn."

    "What  is  going  on  Gilbert?"  The king sounded  alarmed.
    "She  wouldn't  do  that,  my  Lord"  he  replied,  "she's  just  creating  a  fuss... She  has  been  a  lover  of  attention  for  so  long  she's  forgotten  where  her  status  now  lies."

    "I  don't  care  where  her  status  or  position  may  currently  lie,  so  go  to  her  at  once.  This  marriage  was  your  idea  from  the  start  to  feed  whatever  fantasy  your  son  habored,  so  do  whatever  you  have  to,  to  make  it  work,  I refuse  to  have  another  social  scandal  for  his  sake!"