"Bloody halfbloods, eh?" Ezra joked into her ear, watching Vira trip over again.

Dorothea stiffened a little and hoped he didn't notice, she looked up at him and smiled politely.

"Have I told you how beautiful you are, Rosier?" Ezra asked, a little drunk.

"Almost every week since we were thirteen, Nott."

Ezra blushed a little and opened his mouth to say something else, but decided against it. 

Once the formal dance finally broke up, Elvira rushed to Dorothea, and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from their friends.

"Uh- girls?" Ezra asked, holding up a flask of firewhiskey from where he stood in between Marcus and Adrian.

"Dress disaster!" Elvira called back to them.

Dorothea let herself be dragged out of the hall by Elvira, and into a corridor where they bumped into - literally - Cedric Diggory standing very close to Cho and whispering to her.

"Oh, fucking hell," Elvira said, flustered and embarrassed. 

Cedric looked between Elvira and Cho. He noticed the look on Elvira's face and asked quietly, "you okay, Vi?"

"I'm fine," she replied curtly. "I just want to speak to Thea."

"Alright," he said, holding his hands up and gently leading Cho back into the hall.

Dorothea rolled her eyes as they left, and looked back to her friend, who cried out and threw her arms around her.

"Wouldn't go that way, mate," Cedric said shortly to Fred and Oliver, who were also making their way out of the hall.

"Lee's fucked," Oliver replied with a grin.

"We're going to the kitchens," Fred continued.

"There's food in the hall," Cedric said slowly.

"Godric, I hate prefects. The issue is, Jordan drank all our firewhiskey!"

"So we're off to get more," Oliver grinned.

"Ollie has decided to stop being a goody two shoes for one evening," Fred said cheerfully, saluting Cedric.

"I wouldn't-" Cedric called after them, but the pair had gone.

Fred and Oliver also bumped straight into Elvira and Dorothea, he had his hand on Elvira's shoulder to stop himself, and held her at arm's length when he saw her tear-streaked face. Dorothea said nothing, unsure whether Elvira's Gryffindor friends could perhaps be of comfort to her.

"You alright, Jones?" Oliver asked quietly.

Fred realised who had just left the same place, he put an arm around Elvira, "oh, Vi, I know you just saw Ced and-"

Elvira shook Fred off her, "I couldn't give a fuck about Cedric and Cho."

"You turned him down, Vira, a man's gotta-"

"It's not about him!" She exclaimed, glaring at the boy, flattening her hair.

"Then what is it?"

Elvira groaned, "you can't help with this!"

"Well, if you tell us-"

"I just want to talk to Dorothea!" She snapped.

Fred met Dorothea's eye and thought to himself that this was probably the longest either of them had stood next to each other without hurling insults. Dorothea nodded slowly at him and he stepped back a little.