8. Have Dinner With Me...!

Start from the beginning

He let go of his hand as soon as they left the jewelry shop. A stroll in the shopping center now turned into the aimless walk of Krist, without any purpose. He lowered his eyes, as if he didn't care, as if he wasn't sad or angry at all. Like walking in the clouds. He tripped over a box left carelessly and then bumped into a man pushing a baby stroller ahead. Until Krist almost hit the sign placed in front of a restaurant, Gawin decided to hold him back. He grabbed Krist's wrist and pulled him back around again. 

His eyes so full of sadness that it made the taller man's chest ache, but the corner of his lips still pulled up when facing Gawin, perhaps Krist was afraid that he would notice.

"Let's go home, P'Krist."

"..."

Krist looked up at him surprised and confused. His lips moved slightly, he wanted to ask why but deep down he also wanted to go home. It's just he couldn't come up with any reason for this date to end, the moment Gawin made that suggestion, Krist finding himself unable to react, a chaotic mix of emotions churned inside him.

Gawin let go of his wrist, he pointed at the smaller guy's stomach covered by his thick hoodie, teasing him with a naughty smile.

"P'Krist, did you hear your stomach growl? The result of just a few plates of sushi. Lemme treat you another meal, okay?"

To be honest, Gawin didn't hear any sounds coming out of Krist's stomach, and Krist right now wasn't aware of his own feelings as well. 

Both just need a reason to go home.

How strange it was! 

Krist still could offer a smile to Gawin even when he might feel dying inside, his smile weak, with his big brown eyes reflecting the injured pride.The night breeze reddened his cheeks. Finally the two of them walked out of the shopping mall. Krist tilted his head back and stared at the sky. 

Gawin wished he could pat the other's head, but all the paper bags he was holding made it not happen. He snapped his fingers for attention and strode forward. Through the glasses of the shops on the side of the road, Gawin saw Krist tagging along.

...

Gawin is not someone who likes to cook, but he stopped by the convenient store to buy a few things to make a late dinner for Krist. 

No interruption, no noise, just the two of them together would help Krist ease tensions in his heart and mind.

Gawin bought Krist a small box of ice cream so he could eat while waiting. But Krist didn't touch it, his finger making circles on the lid. He hesitated for a few minutes before putting it back in the fridge. That small struggle made Gawin smile a small smile. Krist is so adorable. Everything the older guy did was full of contradictions, his 5.7 foot tall body was now become small next to the refrigerator door, completely contrasting with the state of a person who had just broken up, creating a lively picture.

When Gawin finished slicing the beef and mushrooms, Krist moved from the refrigerator door to behind him, holding a bag of bean sprouts.

"Do we need to wash it again?"

'Are you sure that you know how to wash it?' 

That thought crossed his mind at that time. He quickly swallowed it down to his throat before those words were blurted out.

Seeing Krist being so sincere, his sleeves pulled up to his elbows sloppily, Gawin's brain all of sudden became... chaotic. He clicked his tongue, feeling that even if Krist broke those bean sprouts, it wouldn't matter, he could still use it. Krist hung around the kitchen with the other person, trying to find something to do and telling Gawin incoherent jokes.

Krist seemed to forget that it was him the one who needed to be comforted by funny stories more than anyone else. Krist just thought that since he asked Gawin out, yet the date had to ended early and awkwardly because of his unstable state, he tried to cheer up the taller guy, clumsily. Krist is like a small cat who wants to comfort others even when he himself is upset.

This new friend of Gawin has too many advantages to be with that girl. He deserves to be more respected and loved. The thing happened tonight was a sad experience. But, in a short time, he would realize how lucky it was that it ended early, with enough pain and loss for him to be able to forget.

There were so many words Gawin wanted to comfort Krist, but the subtle chemistry between the two of them signaled to him that, at this moment, he didn't need to say anything. His silence, his respect, the normal behavior between them was calming the chaos in Krist's world.

Krist was controlling his mood, he did not drown himself in negative feelings, maturely.

Gawin did not interfere with the stories Krist was telling. He prepared some grilled ribs while listening carefully so as not to miss any of the other's questions. His sudden questions, crazy conclusions, and even the intonation in his voice - sometimes it was loud sometimes it was soft - as he moved around in the kitchen. Gawin felt that the other's mood was better, or more precisely, Krist was gradually forgetting the reason why he was sad, the guy in front of him was temporarily putting it in a hidden corner of his heart and locked it.

The refrigerator door was opened again. Gawin spotted Krist taking out the ice cream box, right before dinner time. Krist reached for his spoon while giving Gawin an awkward look, he quietly moved back from where he was standing, leaned against the dining table, bowed his head and scooped a big spoon of ice cream and then put it into his mouth.

When Krist lifted his head with a mouth full of ice cream, smiling, Gawin had no choice but to give in.

[ END CHAP 8 ]