05 - What Kind Of Future We Had

Start from the beginning

"I can't talk about this now."

"Why?"

"Please, Bright. Not now."

"Then when? When will we be able to talk properly if you keep dodging the question? We're not just friends are we?"

Another silence and Bright had enough of it. "This is stupid. Why do I keep doing this? I keep repeating everything from then to now. Fine— I won't bother you anymore. If that's what you're trying to say. I'll let you be. I won't talk to you anymore."

Bright then quickly gets out of the vehicle and slammed the down leaving Win inside, still trying to catch his breath from restless crying.

- - - - -

Bright did what he said and for the rest of the day, Win never saw him throughout the day, it seems like he disappeared in his sight and this continued for a whole week and even though they shared a lecture 3 times a week, Win never saw Bright after that confrontation.

And after his lecture, Win approached Nathaniel.

"Nathaniel."

"Prof? What's up?"

The whole class left, leaving the two inside the room.

"Do you possibly know where Bright is? He's been missing the week's lecture, the other professors are also worried."

"Oh, Bright's back in his therapy."

"Therapy? Why? What happened?"

"Monday night, he called me and asked if I could drive him to the hospital. I sometimes drive him there if his nightmares become worse."

"Nightmares?"

"The accident where he lost all his memories, that was his nightmare. It only occurred when something triggered him and by looking how he was that night, it was worse than his previous ones."

An instant shot in his heart as Nathaniel said those words. It was happening again.

"Thanks, Nath. Is it okay to know the name of the hospital? I just want to know if he's doing okay. He wasn't responding to any of my text and calls."

"Sure Prof. It's AV Hospital." He took his phone out and started typing the said hospital in the google maps for directions and he did find it.

"Thank you again Nath." Win then started walking away from Nathaniel when the young man called him once again.

"By the way, Prof?"

"Yes?"

"If you're going to see him now, please clear your intentions in my friend's life."

"My what?"

"I heard him calling your name in between those nightmares. I promised to myself that I won't meddle in Bright's past but everything became clear after that first lecture in your class. You don't just share the same last name. You both shared a life way before he lost all his memories. You two were more than friends. I can feel it and seeing your reactions that day, everything makes sense now."

Win's eyes never left Nathaniel's because everything he said was true and there was no reason for him to deny the truth now.

"You're his husband. Am I right?"

Win stood there, frozen and unmoved. His eyes were fixed on the young man who somehow summarized his whole existence in Bright's life with 3 words.

"I'll be rude just for this moment. You should fix this mess, Prof. Bright won't be able to recover from his past if you keep messing with him. He went through a lot and guessing from your state, I know you two went through a lot worse.

But you left him. Alone. For 3 years.

Think about that. He doesn't know anything about his past and now that you're here, why don't you do something good for him and help him recover all of them? Either good or bad memories, those are still his memories."

Nathaniel started walking towards Win and they both looked at each other's eyes. "Prof, help him remember his past. Only then can you fix the mess you did."

He felt so small. As if his actions were useless. All his decisions and sacrifices to save Bright's life away from him were useless.

He thought he made everything better by leaving Bright but it turns out he was doing the opposite.

He made sure all his expenses were covered in the hospital for the 6 months he stayed there. He even went into creating a fake foundation for Bright to cover all the expenses for his therapy, while doing three jobs.

But even if all of those physical injuries were to be healed, he could never take the emotional injury that is in Bright's mind. Those stayed.

He started blaming himself again, cursing and almost punching the concrete wall. This time, he quickly ran to his car, avoiding any contact with the students or his fellow professors.

Within minutes, he reaches his car and starts driving out of the campus to see Bright.

[02.05.2024]