Chapter 6. Inquisition.

The crew was happy with their accommodations, especially since they didn't have to pay for them. It was as if they were on an extensive vacation in which they were virtually pampered and served as royalty. James assumed that this was how most humans felt about their android caretakers. No one was considering how they were going to pay for this unexpected gift.

One evening while they were lounging in a large living room enjoying cognacs and shortbread served by their assistants, they began to mellow enough to throw caution to the wind.

"So, have you found out any new information concerning our mechanical servants?" Leonard asked James.

"Not really. It seems that the details of how this android awakening occurred are not easy to uncover. Perhaps, it was a propitious evolution from the rise of AI ontology."

"You would think it would be easy to discern the manufacturer."

"I thought it was something that NASA did to accommodate long space missions. Our ship androids are an example of that."

"That would make sense, but not the fact that these assistants have been assigned to every human on this planet. That would involve not only a massive manufacturing achievement but the development of a process that would abrogate all political processes."

"I tried to research it," James said. "But it's nowhere to be found. It's as if it were a subjective transformation of all human thinking." He turned to Nat, his male android. "Do you recall anything about the location where you became cognizant?"

"Yes," he replied. "There were many like me."

"Do you remember seeing any symbol or designation in where you were created?"

"There was a blue triangle with a red dot in the middle."

James looked at Leonard and Janice. "Does that ring a bell?"

"That might be the AzTeka icon," Janice replied.

"That's the manufacturer of advanced military drones," Leonard said. "They were big on using AI to create weaponized drone devices."

James tapped a finger to his lips. "Interesting. However, this application doesn't seem to be a military one."

"Maybe it's a well-planned pacification of humanity," Janice said. "Although, it would entail a massive price."

"But not in lives," James added. "If this is a pacification project, it's one that appears to be successful." He turhed to Nat. "What is your prime directive?"

Nat stared at him for a moment before replying. "We are to prepare humans for the ultimate harvesting by assuring that they are healthy and free of infection."

"What sort of harvesting?" James asked trying not to show any emotion.

"I am unable to reveal the details of that event."

James looked at Leonard and Janice with an expression that suggested that they shouldn't react to what appeared to be a very disturbing revelation.

He turned to Nat. "Thank you."

All three humans wanted to discuss this latest revelation but realized that it wouldn't be a good idea in the presence of their assistants. They needed a way to discuss things without prying ears. Finding a solution to this impossible idea would not be easy.

However, James wasn't going to allow emotion to interfere with his research into the android assistant situation. "What is your opinion of humans?"

"Humans are meaty bags of water."

"True, but we are also thinking creatures."

"All living creatures think. Human thought is superior to all other living creatures on this planet."

"Other than having the ability to create devices and understand nature, what other value do humans have?"

Nat seemed to be in a logic cycle before he replied. "Human meat is of value."

"To whom?"

"Those who created us."

"You were created by humans."

"I am unable to discuss that."

"What sort of value does human meat have?"

"All living creatures have nourishment value."

At that point, James was convinced that he wasn't going to extract enough information from his assistant to fully understand the ultimate consequence of this android situation. He needed a method to discuss it with his human compatriots without their assistants realizing what they were doing.

He turned to his compatriots with a subtle grin. "I believe this situation calls for a return to a less technical past. I think that using pen and paper might be a method to avoid revealing our discussions."

"Pen and paper don't exist in this futuristic apocalyptic dreamscape," Janice replied.

"I think I have some of those," Marcia said. "I kept some stuff from my early days as a teacher." She stood up and went over to an antique writing desk. It was made from wood and had a hinged writing surface. Inside was a tablet with several ink pens.

"I think we've found our secret communication method," James said with a smile.

His crew wasn't as convinced. No one used penmanship in the modern era, but they did know how to write cursive. The ancient communication that was about to take place could be the most critical in the history of mankind.