Chapter 5: Remnants

Start from the beginning

"Nope, it's working." He answers.

"Good! Now I'll be just over here." The Professor Says, now standing near the center of the room.  "This should be quick."

The Professor pushes a button on the remote, and the machine starts to radiate a low hum. Sabre feels the hum within his bones, it strong and starting to get louder. The humming reaches its peak, and a rod on the top of the machine starts to spark with electricity.

"Ready, Sabre?" The Professor asks.

Sabre nods, already starting to feel Shadow fight against the hold, but it's useless. He feels Shadow starting to panic. His voice starts to break past the silence.

"Sabre, plea... this is... mistake!" Shadow's voice crackles. "You... eed me... survive! Stop the... end... madness!"

Sabre only gives a single response to his cries.

"You have always been nothing but a parasitic drone, ruining me because the Darkness tells you to. I never needed you. You needed me."

Sabre blocks out Shadow's voice as he looks up at the Professor, one more time.

"Brace yourself." The Professor says, his hand hover over another button. "It's going to pull back."

Sabre closes his eyes as the Professor hits the button, the sound of lightning already registering in his ears.

The bright flashes of energy circle around him and the machine, as its humming turns into a roar. Sabre can feel Shadow's energy bring pried off his soul, as his shrieks start to become faded. It's surprisingly painless.

A few more seconds pass, and Shadow is almost pulled away, when Sabre suddenly feels as if something is digging into his heart.

He starts to scream.

The Red Leader and M quickly try to run up to the machine to help, but the Professor stops them. He pushes a button, which makes a blue energy appear from the machine, and it starts absorbing into Sabre.

The digging feeling stops, and just as suddenly, Sabre can no longer hear or feel Shadow.

After a minute passes, the lightning stops. The machine has returned to humming. Sabre shakily keeps standing as the holding mechanism starts loosening its grip on him, his ears ringing.

He feels as if he's out of his own body at the moment, the Professor, M, and the Red Leader's voices sounding hazy and distant as they rush to him.

A memory begins to surface.

—————————————————————————————————————

Two people stand on a balcony, looking out over a safe place filled with portals. One is colorful, while the other is strangely dull in this bright world.

The colorful one turns to him.

"Hey... Sabre?" He asks.

"Yeah Rainbow?"

"You never told me what the place you came from is like. You said stuff about how your world worked and some things that were different, but... what was your home like?"

"...That's... not a happy story, Rainbow."

"Oh, sorry..."

"It'd okay, you didn't know."