Chapter 16: Diamonds--The Prized Jewels of Them All:

Horns sounded, gaining the attention of the entire room. The dancing and conversations stopped while they all turned to Charlotte, who stood up from her seat to speak to her subjects.

"Your presence is noted, and your queen most appreciative. Allow it to now be my honor to present to you the season's diamond... Or shall I say diamonds." Queen Charlotte said while the meddlesome mamas were most eager to hear who she was going to name the season's incomparable. "It is my great honor to name our first diamond. My darling, Evelina." Charlotte smiled, holding her hand up, when Evelina looked at Anthony and then around the room.

Charlotte had never named one of her daughters a diamond. Evelina smiled a bit in relief before walking up to her mama. She felt like she finally achieved her mother's blessing that she was the perfect debutante. She felt more relieved than excited.

"And my second diamond of the season... Miss Edwina Sharma."

The room filled with murmurs and gasped at the news of Edwina being the diamond before they erupted in applause. Brimsley escorted Edwina up to the queen while Evelina looked at Anthony, who gave her a smile. Benedict looked at James, who was watching Miss Edwina like a predator for his prey. And then, Benedict noticed the look on Anthony's face. He might have found his love match, whether he admits it or not.

"You look at her the way I look at a finished painting, Brother," Benedict smirked at his brother.

"Every man needs a muse, does he not?" Anthony said, keeping his eyes on Evelina.

Edwina bowed to the queen before Charlotte lifted her chin up. Just as Edwina stood up again, a swarm of gentlemen stepped forward to get the attention of either diamond.

"Earl Hanover... Have you yet met my new incomparable?" Charlotte asked her illegitimate but favored grandson.

James bowed his head but smiled when he looked up at Charlotte and Edwina. "I am most grateful for the introduction, Your Majesty. I only hope I shall be afforded the pleasure of a dance." James smirked, holding his hand out to Edwina, who had glanced back at the smirking queen.

Edwina took James's hand when Charlotte looked at the other gentlemen who still waited, hoping to get Evelina's attention, but Anthony walked over, smirking at the princess.

"Viscount Bridgerton," Charlotte smirked, watching how her daughter smiled at him.

"May I have the honor of another dance, Your Highness?" He asked, holding his hand out when Evelina nodded, taking his hand.

"I suppose I should thank you," Kate said to Lady Danbury at the side of the dance floor.

"Oh, child... It is much too soon for that. You must know the real work begins now." Lady Danbury smirked at the girl.

"Indeed. There will be a mire to wade through on behalf of my sister, to be sure." Kate smiled. "Speaking of, where is my sister?" Kate said, scanning the crowd.

"I meant to ask you earlier... But when we were speaking at your home today, I-- I brought up children, and I felt that we were under the understanding--" Evelina went to say to Anthony as they danced again.

"Forgive me for earlier. It caught me off guard, and then, Benedict..." Anthony sighed when Evelina smiled at him.

"I know that with this arrangement, we might not have them right away... But I did not mean to overstep."

"Not at all. I'm sure we shall be fine with three children, seeing as we will be a united front during our marriage... Even if it is for convenience and our duties." Anthony said as she twirled around him.