Your entire body ran cold instantly. You gulped down the salvia pooling in your mouth as you roughly whipped your sweaty palms against your pants. Inevitably staining the pockets of them but you couldn't bother to care.

Those were the words you expected but were dreading. This was something you couldn't do, you wouldn't be able to try even if you had to.

To kill Suguru Geto meant you'd have to fight against him and use your technique against him. You struggled using it against your enemies in combat, this was Suguru.

Even if you gave it your all, you were sure you'd be no match against him. He was a special grade, you were still a first-grade sorcerer.

"We understand your concern but we believe you have what it takes. As long as you complete your task we'll reevaluate your grade. If you fail to do so, you won't have to worry about ranking higher ever again."

An ultimatum. Stay as a first grade by failing to execute Suguru or do it. In hindsight, the clear answer was executing him. Not only were you getting rid of a man who was aiming for genocide but your pay would rise.

If you became a special grade you could afford more than the apartment you lived in. You could be living comfortably and freely just from a few missions.

As of now, you weren't taking as many as you should because you couldn't mentally handle it. Just enough to get by but as a special grade you could do even less and have enough.

You knew that killing Suguru was the smart choice, a choice anyone would make but you couldn't.

"Am I the only option left for executing Suguru Geto?" You asked weakly.

"I'm afraid so, our original plan was to have Satoru Gojo do it. He's reckless, too careless to prioritize this."

They always masked their fear of him with their hatred. You knew that Satoru could wipe them all out with a flick of his hand.

That was what separated you from him. You didn't have the strength to stand up against them. All you posed was a good asset. 

Their clear disdain for Satoru was also based on the idea you still had yet to rekindle with him. They were still under the guise that Satoru and you had met again and this time were coexisting. You weren't going to give that up.

Satoru could bye your safety and security better than you could. It didn't help that you would never help the higher-ups.

"I understand what's being asked of me. I'll try my best to complete the execution of Suguru Geto." You gave in.

"You won't try, you will. Don't disappoint us." This time a different voice spoke. One you hadn't heard before, their sharp tone nearly startled you.

"You're dismissed."

With that, you nearly ran out of the temple leaving behind everything they had talked to you about. You wanted no part with any of it.

Satoru knew from the moment you walked in something must've happened. Your normal gloomy mood allowed you to still interact with him.

Instead, you walked in silently ignoring his presence. Satoru gave you your space, figuring that was the best course of action until he changed his mind. He walked into your room without announcing himself.

You lifted your head from the pillow watching as he walked over. Satoru sat on the edge of the bed careful to not touch you.

It was finally his turn to return everything you had done after Suguru's deflection.

"I'll help you."

You stared at him, unsure of what he was trying to say. Not once had you tried to come up with a solution for this problem because there was none. Not unless they were gone.