005

Halfway through the second year, Shoko's schedule had changed. Her reverse cursed technique meant she was now studying to become a doctor. The higher-ups had changed her class. She wouldn't be attending class with Yaga for the most part. Instead, they had set up a separate instructor just for her.

Once her four years were done it was expected that she would complete her main courses in preparation for being a doctor. After that then she was going to be forced to do an extra two years outside of campus. Far away from where anyone would know. The higher-ups claimed it was for protection but you didn't truly buy it.

You knew it was just another way to isolate her. Force Shoko to remain completely devoted to their plan.

Going forward you rarely saw Shoko. The only time you got to spend with her was the nights snuck into your dorm.

Other than that you were lucky to spot her throughout the day. Or once a week on the one day you shared a single class with her.

"When did you start smoking?" You asked her.

Shoko was sitting at your desk, arm out of the window while holding a cigarette between her fingers.

"Like two weeks ago," She tapped the cigarette against the edge of the windowsill removing the excess ash.

"Don't you think it's a little ironic, you're studying to become a doctor yet you smoke like a pack a day." You leaned your head onto the desk, not caring much about the smell of smoke.

The smell of dead curses had made your nose weak, barely able to smell anymore. Each time you went out and came back drenched in the blood of humanity's worst manifestations your senses were weakening.

"I have a reverse cursed technique." Shoko pointed out.

You frowned at her statement, it pained you to think of Shoko harming herself in such a way and then healing to repeat the process.

"So you'll just smoke until you get lung cancer then heal yourself over and over again?"

Shoko sat there for a moment. It hadn't struck her until she had heard you say it out loud. Her plan sounded insane but for her, it was her new normal.

"When you put it that way," She pursed her lips. Shoko knew it sounded bad but it was her way of coping with the arrangements.

"I'm just worried because you're my friend."

"If you keep worrying about me then you'll be the one who picks up the smoking too." Shoko didn't like that you were worried. She appreciated the fact that you cared for her, she cared about you too.

"Wanna give it a try?" Catching onto you staring at it, she tilted the cigarette in your direction.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." Shoko wasn't going to peer pressure you into

"Why not." You sat up. Shoko gave you the cigarette, pointing the flame towards herself as she passed it. Carefully you grabbed it from her fingers bringing it up to your lips.

"Hold it in before letting it out," Shoko instructed.

You pursed your lips around the filter before inhaling. Holding the air in like she told you before you released it. The second you let it all go a burning sensation scratched at the back of your throat.

Shaking your head you handed the cigarette back. Shoko watched with amusement as you coughed into the sleeves of your shirt.

"It tastes like shit. How do you smoke that." You groaned.

"Better for you." She took another pull from the cigarette before tossing the rest of it out the window.

"I'll have you to heal me." You grinned.