But who on earth would ask a monster to take care of a human child? Didn't they think of the consequences that the monster may... 'accidentally' kill the child?

Yidhra observed the little boy's expression and answered as if she knew what was on his mind "I may originally be a monster, but I know best about keeping promises, unlike humans." Mihawk had seen the ugly sides of humans so he couldn't argue with that "Until thou reached thy adulthood and left on thy will, I shall take care of thee with my best abilities. Thou may not need to grow a connection to this monster, just accept the offer and live how thee feel the most comfortable. And one last thing, I shall not 'accidentally' eat thee."

Mihawk coughed embarrassingly at that last statement but he got the whole picture now. Yidhra just simply took him under her wing due to a debt she owed to someone. He may do whatever he wants while she provides him with everything he needs, and he wouldn't have to be attached to her if he was still alerted of her true identity.

To sum up, Yidhra wouldn't hurt him during their time living together. To a child as he was, this was enough. And since the witch said she did this because of her debt, she was definitely trustworthy to keep her promise. A monster or not, it's best if every individual always keeps their word. Mihawk closed his eyes and let out a short sigh.

How ironic that a monster can keep promises but humans don't. More or less, it was humans who had hurt him so in this case, he knew who to trust.

...

It had been quite a time since the occasion that Yidhra revealed her true identity to Mihawk, the witch had proved that she did best in providing him with all the requirements. Slowly, Mihawk unconsciously opened his heart to her and grew attached to her as well, even though she told him not to in the first place.

Yidhra didn't overstate the fact that she lacked human emotions. She didn't express love, anger, sadness, or anything on her face. However, she knew how to praise him and reassured or scolded him every time he made mistakes. She showed her moods and care through her actions.

And at least she learned how to smile when she is pleased and Mihawk had to admit, she was beautiful when she smiled.

Sometimes he wondered what her monster form looked like. Yidhra told him that form was no longer necessary to the point that she wouldn't use it anymore, much to his curiosity but there wasn't anything he could do about it.

As time passed by, Yidhra started learning how to interact with other humans as well since she opened a plant shop to cover up their story, and to make money. Her smile and politeness came so naturally that if it wasn't for Mihawk already knowing her true identity, he wouldn't doubt that she was a completely normal human.

Anyway, that was the superficiality of the story. Yidhra had a secret secondary job that helped them earn more money: bounty hunter. When night fell, she would venture outside the sea, hunt down pirates near the area, and hand them over to the Navy. Of course, she must conceal herself with another identity and form as she fights with her magic or sometimes uses her monster form. Therefore, Yidhra couldn't risk the Navy or any individual knowing about her as a witch or a monster. At least until Mihawk is old enough to leave and live on his own.

So, that was how Yidhra managed to earn profits and fulfill both her and Mihawk's needs. So far, everything seemed alright until Mihawk started seeing nightmares.

It was a pitch black night without stars, the breeze was colder than usual so Mihawk saw the people of the town lit up a big bonfire in the center square. The Navy was with them and everybody was shouting angrily at something in the middle of the fire.