14

A beautifully heart shaped cake sits undisturbed on a vintage glass stand, the patterned dome warping the image underneath it. And despite the trouble that said cake caused, Y/N still bounds over to it all smiley, proud like she's just received a first class distinction for a dissertation she's slogged over for months.

Harry watches her fondly, noting the way her lips form around silent words as she lists off all the things she needs to get out of the cupboards. It's a privilege to get to see someone so comfortably in their element; to pick up on things they don't even notice about themselves.

She ushers him over, presenting a wooden spoon for him to take. "You can stir, muscle man," the cheeky quip settling on Harry's skin with a buzz as Y/N slowly pours each ingredient into a bowl. Harry does as he's told, stirring and beating the mixture until the boss deems it good enough.

She wields the palette knife like it's an extension of her hand, smoothing the frosting over the cake whilst Harry 'helps'. Y/N did ask if he wanted to do it, but he couldn't possibly do a subpar job of her favourite process. So he watches from beside her—not too close ("You make me nervous") but close enough for moral support ("Not that far away!")—making an effort to hold his breath in case it were to disturb her.

Cakes were never Harry's dessert of choice but... but. Y/N's unwavering glee is enough to make him want to request a change in the law that demands cake be granted to all. "Do you like it?" She grins, looking up at Harry to gauge his reaction. And he hardly has to over exaggerate; it is gorgeous.

"Too good to eat, that's for sure," he hums, holding her gaze with a twinkle in his eye.

"Wait! It's not finished," her face drops as she remembers, frantically hurrying to the fridge to retrieve a punnet of strawberries.

Harry should've known. "Nothing is ever finished without strawberries." It's a gentle tease, followed by a huff of laughter, shaking his head gently as she cuts them in half to place around the border of the heart, in between soft peaks of piping.

It's simple, and it's sweet, and it's lovely. Much like Y/N as she habitually holds up a fruit to Harry's mouth, shrieking and pulling back when he purposefully nips her fingertips. He grins through a chew, fresh, sweet juice shining on his lips.

Then he turns to get some water, presenting Y/N with a perfect opportunity. As he's filling a glass, letting his mind wander to dinner plans, "Do you fancy spag—" he turns into Y/N's attack as she strikes. Vanilla buttercream. Vanilla buttercream splattered across his cheek and kissing his eyelashes.

Y/N gasps, hands coming up to cover her mouth and hide her smile, so bad at pretending to be innocent. Harry says nothing, and then he trails his eyes from the floor to her face... "You little minx," and he pounces.

The submissive yelps, reaching behind her for the counter—frantic for stabilisation as Harry's body collides into hers. She's drowning in giggles, out of breath from the incessance. The bottom of her spine digs into marble, hips swivelling as she desperately tries to reach the bowl. Harry's laughing, pushing forward to rub his sugary face against hers whilst Y/N wiggles—and when he realises her intent, drops his hands to her hips and tugs her behind brutishly into his front—reaches over her back and elongates a sinewy arm to grasp what she can't.

A clumsy hand bashes against the ceramic, his free arm wrapping around both of Y/N's the best he can to incapacitate her as his fingers find frosting. He pulls them back, frenzied in his movements as he carelessly sullies her face, her big puffs of laughter tickling his palm. "Ah!" She squeals, head thrown back against his shoulder to try and escape Harry's menacing paw. "Ha—ha—Harry! Sto-ho-op!"