Love is a Neurosis

1

1

In the dimly lit room, Roger returned as usual, very late. Emily waited in the darkness, patiently, until 2 a.m. When he finally entered, she uttered the words she had been contemplating for a long time, "Let's get divorced. I've fallen in love with someone else."

"What?" Roger was silent for a moment, unable to believe it.

Emily and Roger were a couple who had faced hardships together. When they first met, Emily was in the bloom of her youth, as delicate as a newly sprouted shallot. Roger, on the other hand, was an undisguised poor boy, working as a painter in a decoration company with low income, low education, and a humble background. Despite all opposition, Emily stubbornly chose him and married against all odds. Ten years later, Roger established his own decoration team, proving Emily's foresight with luxurious homes and cars.

However, the couple gradually drifted apart. Roger started coming home later, and his phone often received ambiguous messages. Sometimes, he flirted with others over the phone in front of Emily. "You're the girl who toasted me yesterday, right? I remember, big brother can forget anyone, but he can't forget you."

Emily became irritable and isolated, smashing things around, and every conversation with him revolved around money—buying clothes, cosmetics, and jewelry. She spent recklessly, seeking revenge and trying to fill the void.

Yet, neither of them mentioned divorce. Emily didn't understand why Roger stayed. For her, their daughter needed a father, and after enduring so many years, why should she hand over the good days so easily?

It wasn't until she met Albert that she realized these reasons were just self-deception. Albert, eight years younger, a master's student with only two years of work experience, was pure and talented, completely different from Roger. They were happy together, like a fish finding water, a butterfly seeing flowers, and wings discovering the sky.

Albert's hands touched her still-smooth skin, his kisses melted the ice in her heart, and the shivers from deep within reminded her that she was still young, with the ability and capital to gain more. Like poetry, every word he spoke resonated with Emily. Overwhelmed with emotion, she agreed to his proposal, declaring divorce to Roger with a bright and clean conscience.

Upon hearing the truth, Roger burst into laughter. "You audacious woman, daring to cuckold me?" He gritted his teeth, his eyes almost popping out.

He grabbed Emily's collar like a chick and dragged her into the bedroom. Emily instinctively screamed, thinking he would be moved by their pure love and bid her farewell with tears. Or at least, since he no longer loved her, and she didn't covet his wealth, he should let her go freely.

She underestimated the instinct of a male animal defending his territory.

Roger ruthlessly threw her onto the bed and forcefully locked the door. Soon, her belt was undone, clothes torn apart haphazardly. In his eyes, filled with mockery and resentment, she stood naked, like a lamb ready for slaughter, feeling the inexorable embarrassment and humiliation with nowhere to hide.