Chapter 2: Direct Intervention

Start from the beginning

As Gordon breached the second sub-observation deck, the intensity heightened. The Combine's determination to fulfill their sinister agenda was evident in every firefight. Gordon's resilience and combat prowess, honed through countless battles, were put to the test. Alyx's instructions echoed in his earpiece, a steady stream of guidance amid the cacophony of gunfire and explosions.

The final sub-observation deck loomed ahead—a critical juncture where Gordon's actions would tip the balance. The Combine, aware of the threat he posed, mounted a formidable defense. Gordon fought with unwavering determination, each encounter bringing him closer to the core's salvation.

As the last Combine soldier fell, a tense silence settled over the sub-observation deck. Alyx's voice broke the stillness, relief evident in her tone. "You did it, Gordon. The Combine's grip on the core is weakening. Now, let's finish this."

With the sub-observation decks secured, Gordon retraced his steps, the path back to Alyx marked by the remnants of his struggle against the Combine forces. The duo regrouped, their shared triumph mingling with the realization that their journey was far from over.

"Gordon... I've discovered a piece of Data on the combines system. It looks like a piece of data. From what I can tell they were trying to temporally open a portal to the combine overworld in an attempt to send it." Alyx explained as she plugged a USB into the console.

"Im extracting the info now. This is important... important enough for them to destroy the citadel and city 17 to transfer it." Alyx continued as the data began to copy into her USB stick.

After about two minutes the data finished and she took out the USB... she attached it to her necklace which she wrapped around her neck. 

"I've found something else Gordon. A transmission from Judith that is attached to the data on the files and was intercepted by the combine. Looks like she escaped the citadel and headed... up north?" Alyx said a little puzzled.

The holographic projection of Mossman materialized on the console screen, clad in a substantial arctic coat that hinted at the harsh conditions she faced.

"I'm fairly sure I've pinned down the location of the Project," Mossman's voice echoed through the room. Her words carried a tone of cautious optimism, tempered by the uncertainty of what lay ahead. The mention of "the Project" sparked curiosity, leaving both Alyx and Gordon on edge.

"It's hard to say how much of it might have survived intact, or whether there's anything remaining that could compromise our work if it were discovered by the Combine. We'll need to take a close look at it, of course," Mossman continued, her demeanor betraying a sense of urgency and responsibility. The importance of the Project was evident, its nature shrouded in mystery.

As the transmission unfolded, Mossman's words revealed a blend of determination and meticulous planning. Her commitment to evaluating the site within a few hours hinted at the critical nature of the Project, the secrecy surrounding it, and the potential risks it posed if exposed to the prying eyes of the Combine.

"I should be able to give a better opinion within a few hours. If the site is where we think it is, then it should be no more than...." Suddenly on the recording judith spun around and an explosion could be heard. 

 "Im going to have to cut this short we may have been discovered." Judith said as the video ended.

The tension in the room escalated as Judith's transmission abruptly cut off, leaving an ominous echo of an explosion in its wake. Alyx, visibly concerned, turned to Gordon, the gravity of the situation settling in. The video seemed to be intimately linked to the data they had just unearthed—information now securely stored on the USB drive dangling from Alyx's necklace.