dad
You drive racecars for a living and you
still don't like cats, Ossie?

oscar
this is the worst thing ever

caroline
tell ur gf i say hi while ur over there btw

loren
OSCARS GOT A GIRLFRIEND??

alana
oh i don't believe that for a second

oscar
i hate all of you
[ caroline, alana, and loren laughed at
a message! ]

THE first time that Maia sees Oscar in Australia, he's holding her cat like she's a hazard to society, arms extended out and face turned to the side

She finds it almost humorous that every time he finds himself at her door, he's always offering her something. First, it was food and a night out back in Baku. Now, it's her mischevious little cutie of a cat in Melbourne.

Though, again, he is holding Suki like she's patient zero of an infectious disease, so she supposes this isn't really an offer, but more of a cry for help.

"Please...keep a closer eye on your cat..." Oscar pleads slowly, and Maia laughs right in his face.

"Oh my God! I should take a picture of you," the actress jokes with a hand on the door and another hand on her chest. "She's not gonna kill you, Oscar."

"Just—" he pushes Suki into Maia's arms, throwing his hands into the air once she gets ahold of her. "Take her, please."

When Suki settles into Maia's arms, the cat looks at her with big, beady eyes and a tilted head, almost as if to say What's this guy's problem?

Her fuzzy tail wags around in the air, and Maia swats away the urge to coo at her baby while Oscar is right in front of her.

The driver starts wiping his hands on his hoodie as if Suki was littered with filth. He then huffs out, "Seriously, Maia, how do you just let her out of sight like that?"

"I hope you know she only goes to your house," Maia rolls her eyes and begins walking back inside the home. The door hangs wide open for Oscar to come in—if he pleases. "If she's not here, she's probably at your guys' place."

Oscar stands still, and Maia quirks her head to the side.

"Yeah, well, tell her not to do that," he sighs while stuffing his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants. "Can I come in?"

Maia shifts her weight to one leg. "You gonna come in for real? Or, are you gonna do that thing that you did back in the hotel room?"

"I was just messing with you then," he shakes his head with a smile, and walks into the house to catch up to Maia's spot in the living room, the TV turned on to a fashion video she had been watching prior to Oscar's arrival.

Maia places Suki down on the couch, and the cat curls up to one of the corners, looking like a small blob of darkness amongst the gray sofa and white pillows.

How could Oscar hate such a cute little creature?

Maia turns back towards him, and notes how he's stood, looking around the first floor of the house like he was trying to mesmerize every minuscule detail there was.

"Are you—!" Maia begins to ask, but the sounds of the sliding door to her backyard screech throughout the house, making both of their attentions turn to her dad, who was taking off his work gloves with sweat glistening on his forehead.

"Oh! Oscar," her dad exclaims, placing the gloves on the island of the kitchen. "I didn't know Maia invited you over!"

The older man walks over to the sink and begins rinsing his hands, and Maia can't help but cringe at the way her parents have been wording her interactions with Oscar recently.

Let it be known, she did not invite Oscar over.

"Suki got out again," she sighs to her dad, making him laugh.

"Ah, Suki loves going over to your house, Oscar."

"Yeah-h-h," the man drags out as his eyes find their way to Maia's own. "I...was telling Maia you guys should keep a closer eye on her before she ends up somewhere else."

She curls her lips up slightly with a small eye-roll, making Oscar chuckle silently.

"It's okay. Even if she ends up somewhere else, she seems to always go back here, or to your parents' house." Her dad tears off a panel of paper towel and starts drying off his hands. "You want a coffee?"

Maia watches as brown-haired man shakes his head. "Ah, thank you for the offer, but I'm alright."

She wonders if Oscar drinks coffee now that they're older, since he always said he hated the taste and how it smelled when they were young. If he does like drinking it now, how did he like it prepared? Sweet or bitter? Does he have a coffee shop order he uses religiously that she doesn't know about?

So much to catch up on, so much she wants to hear; and yet, Maia still questions what line of friendship she and Oscar have found themselves dancing on.

"Okay. Well, Maia's mom was actually wondering if you or your family were free around Christmas time—"

"Oh, Dad!" Maia groans, shutting her eyes. "I didn't know you guys were serious about that!"

Oscar looks from Maia to her father. "Serious about what?"

Maia's father beams as he tosses the paper towel away. "We were wondering if you would be interested in coming over during Christmas Eve, since you and Maia used to always hang out on that day back when you were kids."

"Dad, I—"

"Sure. I can stop by for a bit."

Maia's breath hitches in her throat as she sees how Oscar has now begun to flash a smile at her dad, pairing it with a nod of confirmation.

Christmas Eve with Oscar? In her house? With her parents?

Oh, whatever.

Christmas was never really one of her favorite holidays anyway.

NOTES!

christmas themed chapters even though its literally february soon?? i think yes

xoxo, cas