If You Take a Vampire Hunting

Start from the beginning

Most prying eyes, anyway.

I had to undress before transforming into my wolf form. If I didn't, I'd have to increase my clothing budget considerably because I'd destroy all of them. While I lost my clothes, Etienne shamelessly stared at me, letting his eyes roam.

If this was an attempt to faze me, he failed. Nudity wasn't really a thing among werewolves, and I was used to humans looking. Not that I routinely stripped in front of them, but they did look.

I knew the townsfolk whispered about me. They wondered why I still lived alone. Some were subtle with their questions, some not at all. The bolder ones openly asked me if there was someone in my life, and when I said no, asked if I was looking. I'd also been the victim of a few misguided match-making attempts.

It came with the territory. Humans were curious creatures, but I gently dodged their questions and the affections. Not because some weren't attractive—far from it. It was simply better for me to focus all my attention on protecting our secret from the town. Things had only recently started changing, shifting towards a potential full exposure to the people of Pinewood.

Maybe I'd find a human mate of my own after that. I'd have to see if they still wanted me then. Not everyone could get lucky like my nephew had with his human.

Etienne's stare wasn't one of admiration, however. He was sizing me up, possibly trying to unnerve me. But I was not his prey, nor would I ever be, and nor would the people of Pinewood be.

Meeting Etienne's gaze evenly, I took a deep breath and then willed my body to change.

It hurt. It always hurt. The closer it was to a new moon, however, the worse it was. The beast was stronger and more eager to get out around this time of the month. At least the transformation was faster, too. My bones cracked, and I felt myself growing out of my skin. Parts of me extended and others contracted. Fur grew out of my skin, and finally, I was a wolf.

The vampire arched a brow at me when I looked up at him. "I will miss your riveting conversation during the hunt like this, but I suppose you can't hunt in your human form. You do still understand me, no?"

I let out a low growl, warning the vampire to shut up. I listened carefully for any people on the nearby roads. When I determined they were empty, I started running.

I'd been right about my assessment that Etienne was fast. His light footsteps stayed right behind me, despite me running at full speed. I only stopped once we reached the valley, and we were far enough away from the humans that they'd never find us.

I looked at Etienne, then nudged my head towards the hunting grounds.

"Here?" Etienne asked. "Good. I was starting to feel a little hungry."

Etienne grinned at me and then dashed away. I immediately sprinted after him, but it was like he tried to shake me, purposely going through smaller passages between the trees that he fit through but I didn't as a wolf. Thankfully, I knew these woods well and kept up by using all the shortcuts.

There was plenty of wildlife in the woods. None of the animals would stand a chance if Etienne decided to pounce on them. He didn't, however. Etienne passed deer and rabbits, ignoring them all and letting them escape into the night. For a moment I thought he was looking for bigger prey because his hunger was that great, but then he also passed a bear—the largest creature roaming these woods.

Etienne seemed to have a plan, however. There was a purpose to his movements. He stopped now and then, looked around, and started running again. He was clearly looking for a specific prey. I would've asked, but couldn't as a wolf. I just kept running with him, growing increasingly more suspicious and confused.