bad timings, good timings

Start from the beginning

"Ga'no na kayo katagal?" Grace asked.

"Medyo matagal na rin."

"Kilala namin?"

Leni only shrugged, obviously refusing to disclose any more information about her love life. Loren saw it so she took it upon herself to save Leni from all the questioning. She was like a younger sister to her, after all.

"Sa susunod na magkwento si Leni. At least we know na she's not single, 'di ba?" Loren wiggled her brows and everyone laughed in agreement. Leni shot her a thank-you look instantly. "But jokes and questions aside, Leni, you should introduce her to us sometime. Invite mo siya na sumama when we go out for dinner. If you want lang."

"Maybe I will next time." Leni smiled.

two.

Another dinner took place a few weeks later. Leni already confirmed attendance earlier that day and she informed Loren that Risa wouldn't be able to make it as she left for home only a few minutes after the session ended.

"Oh, bakit? Is it the family thing again?"

"Hindi, Sen. May sakit siya, nilalagnat."

"Kawawa naman si Risa. But she'll be okay naman?"

"Oo, Sen. Pinapasabi niya lang na pasensya raw at hindi na naman siya makakapunta."

"Sabihin mo kailangan niyang bumawi sa akin ha!"

Leni nodded and they headed to the parking lot. Once at the restaurant, all talk of work was replaced with workplace gossip and banter, with new updates with regards to their families, children, and love lives.

"Wala na naman si Risa," One senator spoke. "Parang ayaw ma-interrogate tungkol sa love life."

"May sakit daw." Loren replied.

"Pero I think she's dating someone now. I overheard a few people talking about it na may nagpadala nga raw ng flowers sa kanya sa office last week." Grace said. "Why don't we ask Leni? Sa'yo naman pinaka-close si Risa. She's not single, right?"

"Siya na lang po ang tanungin niyo." Leni said, a relaxed smile on her lips.

"Okay, fine. But yes or no lang. She's not single?"

"No, she's not."

"Sayang! May irereto pa naman sana ako." Pia laughed.

"Si Risa pa, ayaw na ayaw nga no'n nang nirereto siya o may nirereto sa kanya."

"Infairness naman kasi sa kanya. She knows what she wants at nakukuha naman niya 'yun."

"Alam mo, I think she's in it for real nga this time."

Leni listened earnestly, fully intending to report to Risa what had been talked about at the dinner she missed. The senators mentioned that Risa often smiled at her phone on senate breaks as if receiving a sweet message. On their breaks, there were hints of someone special accompanying her on vacations as she posted in her private Facebook account. Special occasions also reeked of hints as purple and pink flowers were constantly gifted, an intimate dinner somewhere only they knew, and on and on it went about this special person Risa had that she looked serious about compared to her other relationships.

"Uy, Leni." Loren pulled her out of her listening focus.

"Yes, Sen?"

"Your girlfriend couldn't make it tonight?"

"Hindi eh. She's at home lang, busy din."

Loren grinned. "Busy woman naman pala ang girlfriend ng senador na 'to. How cute. Power couple kayo."