12. DETECTIVE MEGURU: CASE L/N Y/N!

MEGURU HAS A HYPOTHESIS.

"you're really energetic today, bachira," yoichi muses, bumping his shoulder against meguru's. "you usually are, but you're really feeling it today. did something happen?"

"hmm... but this is how i am every day!" meguru hums. he bumps his shoulders against him, except he puts every leftover force he has into it, causing yoichi to stumble.

yoichi winces when he catches himself, nearly falling onto the ceramic floor. "no, i mean, like, you kept looking towards the ceiling or at that huge screen every time you thought you did something cool during the match."

meguru pauses. and then he glares at yoichi. "what do you mean 'thought'?"

"is this what they call selective hearing?" yoichi sighs. "also, you'd be dead asleep by now. why the sudden visit to the cafeteria?"

meguru hooks an arm around him and leans in to whisper, "listen, dude. what i'm about to say is top secret, m'kay?"

yoichi raises an eyebrow. "uh... 'kay?"

"absolutely top secret. no one else knows about this, and you shouldn't tell anyone."

"...okay?"

meguru smirks, he whispers something into yoichi's ear.

"what?" he asks, tilting his head towards meguru.

the corner of meguru's smirk twitches. then he says something in a volume yoichi should be able to hear now that they've met for one week. which, by that single record, makes yoichi meguru's best friend. meguru has low standards about that since people don't last long with him.

"what? i can't hear what you're saying." but meguru could hear the agitation in yoichi's voice. guess he's not the best friend meguru ought him to be.

a certain boy waiting in the cafeteria for him might be. might be more, must be more. hopefully he lasts a while.

meguru inhales, and then he says in his one-day meeting volume, "i found someone."

"you guys going to the cafeteria too?" rensuke pipes in before yoichi can respond. he's a contender for meguru's best friend title now that he's stepped foot beside meguru. "oh, and congratulations, bachira. never pegged you to be that type. you know, taken. no wonder why you seem happy all the time."

a close winner. meguru holds up a finger in front of rensuke and sways it from side to side.

"thank you, dearest hero," he says, a hint of melancholy in his voice. "unfortunately, he and i have yet to realise our deepest and purest desires for one another. i'm waiting for him to confess how the stars above him light up just from the thought of me, and when he says that, i'm going to melt like honey as his effervescent e/c gaze bores into my hazel ones."

"oh, cool." rensuke turns to yoichi. "why is he speaking like that?" rensuke whispers to yoichi, but yoichi ignores him. he seems to have had enough of any kind of whispering since meguru.

"wow, bachira," yoichi says, desperate for the conversation to change. "have you considered to be a poet instead of a soccer player?"

"no. my adoration goes beyond the duty as a member of society. the poetry i wax won't be for occupational purposes, rather, for the purest expression of love."

concern is the only word to describe rensuke's face. "where the hell did you learn all these words?"

"from the centre of a star."

"um."

"uh... do correct me if i'm wrong, but you met this guy yesterday, right?" yoichi begrudgingly asks. honestly, this uncharacteristic behaviour from yoichi worries meguru. is this what happens when he removes people from his best friends list?