Queens and Stuffies

{2541 Words}

“Hi, you must be Lottie, the new girl. Wanna build a sandman?” Shyla asked from her seat in the sandbox under the bridge, unfazed by the other woman trying to hide behind the pole holding the bridge up. She was quite used to shy littles on their first day of her Caregiver babysitting them.

“Not a sandcastle?” Lottie peaked out from her hiding spot to see Shyla.

“Sometimes. But asking the new little one if they wanna build a snowman or sandman is more fun. You can tell a lot about a person about how well they build a snowman or sandman. It is very serious business. You never know when they will come alive and be your new best friend.” Shyla smiled up at Lottie.

“Very serious.” Lottie agreed. “You like Frozen?”

“Frozen is the best!! QUEEN Elsa is way better than any of those other PRINCESSES! She has magic AND a better title!” Shyla exclaimed.

“She does, but I like Princess Anna the best.”

“GOOD! Then, you can always be Anna and I will always be Elsa when we play! It's always better to play with someone who doesn't want to play as Elsa! I’ve been known to throw a punch or two over my Elsa doll.” Shyla stated cheerfully while continuing her sandman.

“A punch?” Lottie asked nervously.

“Frozen is serious business and it's almost always the only reason I ever brat… on purpose.” Shyla suddenly stopped building her sandman to look up at Lottie. Suddenly, Shyla’s cheery demeanor was gone. “If you mess with my Elsa doll, I will strike icicles into your eyes and freeze your heart like a slushie… and then I will punch you.”

Lottie shivered from the cold glare before Shyla went back to playing. Lottie definitely needed to not mess with her potential new friend’s Frozen toys. Lottie looked around and didn't see any dolls. Just an Olaf snowman stuffie sunbathing with sunglasses in the sandbox. Lottie remembered Ms Priyanka’s warning about touching other little’s stuffies. Lottie didn't think stuffies were that important so clearly the rule was made to protect other littles from Shyla protecting her Olaf.

Lottie sat down on the opposite corner as Olaf, she felt safest not going anywhere near him.

Shyla and Lottie finished building their sandmen. “How does my sandman look, Shyla?”

“Good, you packed him well. He would make a good magical friend.”

“Does this mean we can be friends?”

Shyla thought for a moment. “Yes!”

Lottie watched as Tammy and Sammy walked towards them. “How did Tammy and Sammy’s sandmen turn out?”

“Tammy kicked hers over, getting sand in my eyes. Sammy pooped on his sandman.”

“Pooped?!”

“Tammy has all the brains. Sammy’s littlespace is definitely at a ‘toilet humour’ level of intelligence. In his defence, his big headspace doesn't find poop jokes nearly as funny.”

“That's not much of a defence for pooping on your new sandman friend.”

“I never said I was his defence lawyer. I am just an ice queen.” Shyla said the last in a posh accent. The girls giggled.

“I'm going to get what we need for their sandcastle.” Shyla announced.

Almost as soon as Shyla left, Tammy arrived. Lottie looked around for Sammy but couldn't see him.

“Hi.” Tammy said in a tone that was more phoney than friendly.

“Hi…” Lottie said in a tone that was more untrusting than pleased.