Chapter 9- The Mad Blooming Princess

Start from the beginning

"Do you two think she actually killed the hunters? She could have been framed..." Akari held her breath.

Mei shook her head. "There was a witness who saw her kill the hunters that night. In addition, she's a member of the Hio family so it's not surprising."

"Members of the Hio family are infamous for going mad." Aoi explained.

Akari stiffened. "Have you two ever seen anyone from the Hio family? What are they like?"

"The Hio family hardly ever attended soirees or social events. Few vampires have ever laid eyes on them." Aoi remarked.

"You're awfully curious about them, Akari." Mei raised an eyebrow.

Akari looked at her feet. "It's just that Purebloods are unrivalled in strength so we would be powerless to stop them if they went down the wrong path."

"That is why the Council was created...to limit the power the Purebloods have over other vampires." Mei said.

"Oh, but you shouldn't be afraid because not all Purebloods are bad!" Aoi exclaimed. "For instance, Lord Kaname has never compelled us even though he has the ability to. This is why many vampires are in favor of him becoming king."

"In any case, you don't have to worry about the Hio family. Lord Hio has been dormant for years, his wife is deceased, and his daughter is going to be executed." Mei remarked. "You'll probably never encounter them."

"Oh, I forgot I need to finish reading a book Takuma lent me." Akari stood up from the bed. "Thank you for answering my questions. I should head out now."

Akari rushed out of the room. She didn't look back until she was inside her dorm room.

Good thing Seiren isn't here, Akari thought as she walked over to her bed.

Akari laid on her side on the bed; she covered herself completely with her blanket. I didn't want to believe it...but Zero was right. What has Father been doing this whole time? There's no way he would sit idly by and allow Mother to kill two vampire hunters. Did Mother really lose her sanity because of the Hio curse...will she recognise me if I see her again? Will I eventually succumb to madness as well?

Akari sat up and rubbed her eyes. She looked at the stack of manga that sat on the bedside table. I won't be able to sleep at all, so I might as well continue the series.

Akari was still reading when the sun rose and Seiren entered the room.

Seiren closed the curtains and turned off the lights. She climbed into her bed, but paused when she noticed Akari had turned on the lamp beside her. "Are you not going to rest?"

Akari turned the page. "I am not tired."

"Lord Kaname was generous and allowed you to rest in your room for two days, but there won't be a third day," Seiren said.

Akari sighed. "I know and I will be present in class tonight."

In the afternoon, Akari went downstairs and noticed that Rima and Senri were speaking with Takuma.

"Are you alright, Senri?" Akari asked when she noticed his frown.

"Not only do we have a photo shoot today, but we're also on hunting duty." Senri sighed.

"Make sure you're wide awake, Senri. The Level E we're hunting today has only transitioned recently, so it is likely to be intelligent," Rima added.

"I can go in Senri's place," Akari raised her hand.

"I appreciate your offer, but I have to go." Senri said. "It was a direct order from Dorm President Kuran; the Senate wants us to snatch the kill from the Hunter Association."

"Don't worry, Senri." Takuma patted his back. "We took the kill last time, so I'm sure you and Rima can pull it off if you give it your all."

Rima frowned. "We could do without the pressure from the higher-ups though. Why do the Senate and Hunter Association compete with each other like this? It should be enough that the target is eliminated."

"I can tag along to help you two," Akari exclaimed. A walk into town and some action will help me get my mind off of things.

"That would be nice, but our manager is going to drive us to the location and afterwards we're going to get our photo shoot done. There will be no time for any other detours." Rima explained.

"I don't mind waiting outside the building until your photo shoot is done." Akari said.

"Not so fast, Akari." Takuma held up a hand. "Kaname said you cannot participate in this mission; it's a consequence for causing trouble the other night."

Is the Dorm President testing me? Akari pouted. Mei said Kaname might recognise me and that's why he's being nice. However, this kindness might also be an act to lower my guard. He even assigned his most loyal follower to be my roommate...is he keeping an eye on me because he's knows I'm from the Hio family? I could be wrong, but it's better not to take any chances. "Fine. I'll stay here and wait for their return."

Akari was silent for a few seconds before she spoke again. "If I ever become unhinged, will you three do whatever it takes to stop me?"

Takuma raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Akari spoke with a blank look on her face. "I've been thinking about it ever since we fought that Level E together. I would rather die than take innocent lives."

"Don't be silly, Akari! Only ex-human vampires can descend into the End Class." Takuma placed a hand on Akari's head and ruffled her hair. "You could lose control if you don't drink blood, but even then we'd hold you back, give you some blood, and then you'd regain your senses."

"I hope you're right." Akari smiled wryly. If only ex-human vampires lose their sanity, why do others say that the Hio family is prone to madness?