Chapter 1 - He's a Hot Head

Chapter 1

He's a Hot Head

"Kaylee! You ate all of my key lime pie!" Ethan yelled. I am not much of a sweet tooth, but I can't stop eating key lime pie.

"You know, I'm starting to second guess about mom ever getting you," Ethan joked. He isn't my real brother, they found me in foster care when I was twelve, but I still think of him as my brother.

"You know what, Ethan? I'm going to walk to Wal-Mart right now, and I'll buy you your own pie. Is that a deal?"

Ethan nods and walks away smiling. He knows that he was vexing me.

As I walk out the door, I notice the dark, foreboding clouds. So I take my dirty-blonde hair out of my ponytail, and it falls to the middle of my back. I silently thank my black hoodie, jeans, and blue Converse.

When I arrive at Wal-Mart, I realize that the poster for jobs is gone. I walk in, looking at a beggar, when I accidentally run into somebody.

"I am so sorry! Are you okay?" I ask frantically.

"Don't worry, I'm fine." says the person I ran into. He looks at me for the first time, and looks surprised. As he looks at me, I realize that he looks about my age, sixteen.

"Well, I guess I'd better introduce myself, seeing that I ran into you," I try to joke, but it just makes the whole meeting more awkward. "My name is Kaylee Tiltner."

"Hi, I'm Blake Pentil." He says.

I help him up, and I find out that he works here. He's wearing tan slacks, a blue Wal-Mart polo shirt, has spiky, short black hair, and glasses that cover his eyes.

"Would you like any assistance, Kaylee? It is my job to help people find what they need." Blake offers.

"Umm, sure. Can you please help me find the pies?" I ask.

"No problem, come with me, miss."

We just walk through the store together, talking about random things that come to mind. Even after I get the pie, we just walk around the store. I don't know why, but he is really easy to talk to.

"Hey, I just remembered something. Do you want to meet my friend Amy?" Blake asks strangely.

"Sure, why not." I agree.

We walk through the store until we came to a girl with the same outfit as Blake, brown hair that went down to her chin, and eyes as brown as mine are blue. She looks up at us and I realize she's my age also. She looks at me uncertainly, but sees Blake and puts on a smile.

"Hi Blake. Who is this?" She says with a fake smile.

"Amy, this is Kaylee, Kaylee, this is Amy," Blake informs.

"Nice to meet you," I say.

"You too," she replies in a forced voice.

As soon as she says that, I know that I am not wanted here. I take out my phone and act like I'm reading a text.

"Oh, my mom wants me home. I guess I have to leave," I say in a disappointed voice. "Goodbye." I basically run outside with the pie and I run to our house. I drop the pie in front of the door, ring the doorbell, and run into the woods.

As I climb up my favorite tree, I hear voices.

"She got away! I knew she was bad luck!" Amy yells.

"Well, if you didn't treat her like a freak, maybe she'd still be here!" Blake retorts.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I cannot change my actions," Amy apologizes. "But what if she was the Elite!"

"She wasn't! If she were the Elite, she would have killed us instantly." Blake responds. I mouth "Elite" up in the tree. Is Elite some kind of code?

"Okay, okay, you're right. Now, let's practice."

Then the most impossible thing happened. In Blake's hand was a fireball, out of nowhere. I could not help it. I gasped.

"Someone's here!" Amy screeched. Before I knew what was going on, I got hit in the back of the head with a perfectly circular rock. I fell to the ground.

"Stop! It's Kaylee!" Blake ordered.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... err, interrupt anything. Umm, what was that?" I ask sheepishly.

"Blake! She didn't know! She must be the wrong one. What do we do..." Amy rants.

"No, I know she's the one. I'm sure of it. Look at her eyes." Blake replies.

"The 'one' what?" I ask. "What about my eyes? They're just bl-" Then that's when I make the connection. The Elite. The eyes. They are from the old story I was told in the orphanage. "Blake?" I ask.

"What?" he responds.

"Take off your glasses," and I back up, tripping over a twig, falling. I was right. Blake's eyes were a bright, flaming red.