ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1: ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ

The cold winter had come to Hokkaido, and you were back to your usual behavior of staying in the woods and hunting for animals. People who came across your tents and camps offered their help and hunted prey in exchange for guarding services or just as a hunting company.

You stared up at the trees, wondering where the birds and the other tiny animals had hidden. You ventured further into the frozen forest, gun in hand, if something were to pop out of hiding.

As your camp slowly vanished from view by thick spruce trees covered. A thick layer of soft snow covered the needles. When your shoulder brushed against some branches, the snow stuck onto the black fur cloak.

A sudden movement near a spruce tree made you halt. Cocking your gun and carefully aiming it at the tree, you waited for something to move.

A moment passed until you saw a glimpse of a purple winter jacket, which made you call out. "Come out slowly."

No response came, yet a man slowly peeked from behind the tree, hands raised, but his eyes soon lit up. "Holy shit. The Black Pelt?! Like the actual real one?!"

"That is correct. Now, who are you?" you kept your gun aimed at the stranger who quickly answered. "Wha- oh. Lower the gun, I have nothing on me. Just come candy," the man responded but gulped when you didn't lower your gun. "Uh..."

Shit, I finally got my chance to meet the Black Pelt. I don't want to blow this. The strange man took a deep breath, taking the courage to speak. "My name is Shiraishi Yoshitake, and I am an Abashiri convict."

Shiraishi watched as you lowered your gun in surprise and shock. "Why tell me this, stranger?" you questioned him, a bit careful about his intention. Scanning his outfit and the shape of his body, you didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. "No weapons... Alright, I'll give you a chance to explain."

Shiraishi's face lit up for a moment before he cleared his throat. "So, I know what you're thinking. Why would I tell you I'm a convict? You could have shot me right here without getting a chance to speak, yet you didn't," the prison escapee took a deep breath yet again. "I am asking you for some help."

"What do you need my help with?" you asked him, and Shiraishi grinned.

"To make some money with me! You've got excellent hunting skills from the stories and rumors I've heard of you. I can do the money, and you can hunt for pelts and other stuff."

In response to his idea, your eyes narrowed. "You're aware I only hunt animals for food and not for the thrill of it, right? And I already bring pelts to the villages for money, what's in this for me?"

Shiraishi was about to continue his idea but stopped and went into his thoughts. "I see..."

"I will agree to your offer with a few conditions. One, you give me half of the profits. Two, I will not hunt anything that is near extinct or considered to be extremely endangered," you listed the two things, hoping you would not come to regret this.

Shiraishi snapped back into reality, his grin widening. "Yes!" he turned around and clenched his fist in victory before turning back around. "I promise you won't regret this."

"I better not. If I do, you won't like what way happens," you glared at the shorter man. Shiraishi's grin wavered slightly, but he kept his confident personality. "Well, you gonna come hunt with me or not?"

Shiraishi blinked a few times, double-taking if he heard it correctly. He looked you up and down, trying to see if you were serious. Tapping your finger against the barrel of the gun, impatience grows inside. "O-Oh, sure," Shiraishi nodded and stared at the double Murata rifles.