Part 10. Our First Kiss.

Start from the beginning

"Arthur tells me you've been asking questions!". A voice boomed from behind me, making me jump around in shock. Only too see a familiar face, standing infront of me, which made me relax a little. His peaked cap, casting a shadow over his chizled face, as it hung low on his head. "Oh god, where the hell did you come from!". I cried out, holding my hand up to my chest to steady my breathing, but I got no answer from him. "About how we run our business?". Tommy continued ignoring my sentence. I never said a word, other than stare at him, for I didn't think what we talked about earlier today, would get back to Tommy. "And where we get our booze and where we keep it". He added. "Eh, oh, correction it was cigarettes actually, that we were talking about". I chuckled slightly, but just recieved a cold hard stare, from Tommy, who didnt seem amused. I swallowed hard, before speaking. "I'm just trying to help". I said. Tommy said nothing other than nod his head.

"Let's you and me go for a walk". He said sternly. "Where?". I asked. "Come on". Was all I got, as a reply, as he walked off in front of me. We then, walked down an alley way and continued walking, before we walked into the church he let me go in first and he soon followed close behind. "Why 'ere?". I asked, as I looked around, no one else was here, just us. The church was dimly lit, the only light we had to see, was the flicker of the candles that were lit all around us. 

"You believe in God don't ya". Was all he said, as he walked in front of me, his shoes clicking off the stone floor. "Well...". I was about to voice my thoughts, but was interrupted. "Well, then you know it's here that people come to confess". He butted in, as the pair of us walked further down the isle. "After you". Tommy stopped and gestured for me to enter one of the many rows of pews and sit myself down. I didn't look up at him and I just did as I was told and sat down. Tommy then sat down beside me and cleared his throat. "Well here it is Roselyn, I'll confess". Tommy began to say, I just looked up at him confused, unsure of to where this conversation is heading.

"I need someone". He added. Need someone for what, I thought to myself, as my heart now began to pound in my chest, my body started to shake slightly, with anxiety and with how cold it was inside the church. "Kimber has an adviser by the name Roberts, he talks well, he keeps the accounts, he runs the legal side of the business". Tommy continued, as he didn't even look at me when he was talking, he just kept on staring straight ahead. "And you need a Roberts". I whispered aloud, as I swallowed hard once again. "Arthur tells me you have ideas". He asked me. "Well before ya start, I'm not an accountant or a lawyer". I told him bluntly. "No!". Was all he replied with. "No but you have something I need". He continued. I shook my head in confusion, as to what he meant. "Class". He added. I scoffed aloud. "Class, 'av' you seen me when ah eat". I chuckled, but got no repsonse from him.

"I need someone who looks right at the big meetings". He said, as once again he carried on looking straight ahead. "Epsom, Ascot...". He began to rhyme off big horse show meetings. "What about Durham?". I asked, as I slouched back and rested my head upon my hand, whilst my elbow was propped up on the back of the pew. "There's a race course up at Sedgefield, that's where all the posh Northeners hang out". I chuckled, but again no repsonse. I realised that up until now, I think he actually means business and I shouldn't really be joking around. "So, is this a job interview then or what?". I asked him.

"Arthur says your good with numbers". He told me. "Well I try but that's relative, as he's quite poor". I replied, as I sat up right in my seat again. Making Tommy scoff at my comment. "You keep the books in order". He said. "They were a bloody mess". I said. "But you also love to keep secrets". He said bluntly. "W-w-what!". I said shocked. "Why didn't you tell me that you had shot and killed a man in the alley way out the back of Watery Lane?". He asked. I stared at him, wide eyed, my breathing now becoming more irratic.  "Look, this is an interrogation, not an interview!". I said, as I sprung to my feet and was about to leave. "Sit down!". He ordered. I froze on the spot and slowly sat back down in my seat.