[1.12]

"𝓦hat did you want to do today?" Tas asked as he and Taryn walked into his main living room. They had decided to hang out for the day that very morning so neither had any plans of what they wanted to do. With his growing intrigue in a specific girl within their year, Taryn hadn't seen Tas nearly as often as they had previously so they decided to hang out at the very instant they both made it known they were free.

"I've got no idea," Taryn sighed in response as she sank into the luxurious cushions that littered the couch.

"I hate you."

She laughed softly, "Awh thanks Tas, love you too."

He frowned in annoyance and it only further entertained her. "You make me pick all the time cause you're so indecisive, it's annoying."

"Yeah well, you love me for it," she shrugged, glancing towards the doorway as his little sister ran through the house with a white tea towel draped atop her head.

Tas wiped his face of all emotion as he resplied, "Funny. But seriously, what should we do?"

"I don't mind."

"Taryn!" he yelled in joking frustration as she fell into laughter yet again. As both their laughter died down, the type of laughter that hurt their stomach and was only made worse when more things were added to the discussion, he went back to the topic at hand. "Hungry?"

She paused for thought, attempting to weigh up how much and if she even had room left within her stomach. "Minorly, cake and coffee sort of hungry."

He nodded in agreement, "Okay same. Let's go get cake then."

"Not Fran's though that's too cutesy."

"So Luke's?"

"Sure whatever," she shrugged, acting yet again as if she didn't care about where they were going to or what they would be doing - she did really and he knew that deep down.

"Taryn!"

"I'm messing with you Tas," she chuckled as they both stood from the couches, wanting to head to Luke's and get in just after the morning rush and before the lunch one. It was rather difficult to enjoy cake dates when the atmosphere was as hectic as Luke's got on a Saturday morning. Tas, unable to express his frustration any other way, raised his hand as if to hit her. Taryn, knowing he was simply joking and he would never ever even think of doing such a thing, laughed and nudged him out of her way so she could get out of the house first. They had played the 'get out of the house first' game since they were children and she was currently on a winning streak. Thus engaged in a laughing run and shove to the door, where Taryn found herself victorious once again but ended up nearly tripping over her unlaced shoes on the walk to Luke's.

Upon entering Luke's, the two were rather glad that the diner was significantly quieter than the morning rush. They chose the quieter corner of the diner, on the table just for two near the back. Tas purposely sat with his back against the wall so he could have a greater ability to look around the diner, in case something were to happen. As well as their coffees, they ordered two different cakes and planned to share both of them as they couldn't decide which one would be best. Jess brought over their drinks, as Luke was fighting with the oven, and hovered at their table for a second. He proceeded to pull a carton of almond milk from behind his back and did not hesitate to pour it into her coffee cup, receiving a bright and thankful smile at the gesture. Jess, whilst distracted by Taryn 's appreciative smile, did not fail to notice as Tas rolled his eyes. "Something bothering you?" he asked with his usual hatred for customers' tone of voice, one which only disappeared around her.

"Not at all," Tas responded, voice thick and heavy with such fake politeness that even Taryn, who was usually oblivious to that type of thing, could hear it.

Taryn sighed at his actions and caught Jess' gaze with her own before she spoke. "Thanks Jess.

"Anytime. You change your hair?"

She nodded softly, purposely avoiding looking at the person who sat across from her on the table. "Yeah, new mousse. Holds the curls better."

"Looks different," he replied in such a way that she didn't know whether it held malice or something entirely different.

She frowned, a crease forming between her brows, "Bad different?"

"I wouldn't say so," Jess responded without hesitation before he walked away to go back into the kitchen.

Once he had disappeared completely, Taryn turned to Tas with a great frown and decided this would be a conversation to have entirely in sign. ^What's gotten into you?^

^I hate him.^

She scoffed and it almost sounded like laughter. ^Well I don't so if you would refrain from being your usual annoying self.^

"Ok don't look now but Rory's behind you," Tas suddenly muttered, ensuring that his lips moved to the exact letters so he wouldn't have to repeat himself and run the risk of her overhearing. He couldn't sign due to the fork full of the first cake now in his hand.

Taryn, fighting the urge just to turn around right there and then, softly asked, "Does she look okay?"

"Upset but not too," he replied after a brief hesitation and she turned slowly as if stretching her neck. She watched as Jess handed a sullen looking Rory a bag of food with his usual fake customer service smile. "I can't believe they broke up."

Taryn swallowed her cup of truly delicious coffee before whispering back, "I know right, I thought they were always going to be together."

"Did you find out why?"

"No, Lane was very secretive with it then we got distracted. It's got to be something big though, right?"

"Lord knows," Tas sighed as he scooted over the plate with the final bite of their first cake choice on it. She took the final bite happily, as she always did. "Your hair does look different though."

She chuckled softly, "That's kind of the point of a new expensive product."

"Expensive? Holy did you actually spend money?" he gasped, truly unable to believe she spent her money on anything other than books and fabrics.

"Da brought them for me on a shopping whim, said he saw it recommended in a magazine and thought I could try it out after I complained about the lack of hold in my other one."

"Looks good though."

"Shut up Tas," she rolled her eyes and laughter emerged between them both as the second slice of cake was moved to the middle of the table.