"If it was there- it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B tells the rest of them, rubbing his sisters back.

"Somebody beat us to it." His voice says shakily.

"Or it was never there.." She mumbles into her brothers chest, her tears finally slowing.

—————————————————

John B and Melia walk into the château, both calmed down now. She throws her shoes off into the corner of the room and walks out into the living room.

"Hey, buddy." A woman calls out, Melia's eyes widen and she looks down to the couch. It was the social worker.

She looks behind her and her brothers wandered in to, now looking down at the woman sat on their couch.

She groans loudly, grabbing the cereal box out of her brothers hand - who grunts in response - and eats a few pieces.

"You know, Cheryl, it's a bad time for a check in." She mumbles, rolling her eyes as she places the cereal box back down onto the table.

"Not a check-in. We're here to take you two."

Melia slumps down at the table, shaking her head with an empty laugh.

"Today? Really?" She asks nonchalantly, staring at the woman.

"It's just for a few weeks until your hearing." She states, uncrossing her legs.

"No- Cheryl, look, I'm not letting Emi go into foster care, okay? Nor am I going either." John explains, sitting beside his little sister.

"We aren't gonna go be a part of your little system." Melia scoffs at her, scrunching up her face at the idea.

A radio beeps behind them, Melia warily turns to look up at the rather- large man.

"Kids, this is Deputy Thomas." The woman explains.

Melia shakes her head with a laugh and stands up from where she was, taking the cereal box with her and throwing it onto one of the kitchen counters.

"He works with juveniles for the sheriff's department."

Melia rolls her eyes at the man, watching as her brother gets up and stands beside her.

"Look, I know Uncle T is down in Mississippi working at a casino." The woman says, looking directly at JB.

"He hasn't been here in months."

"What?" Melia scoffs, shaking her head with a laugh. She glances at her brother before quickly starting to run towards the back door, him following shortly behind.

The man walks over and grabs Melia, pulling her back by the arm and she groans loudly. "Don't fucking touch me!" She yells shakily, shaking her head.

"See, thats my nightmare, right there." John B says, pointing at the man.

"Look- I- I- We want emancipation!" Melia calls out, biting her lip.

"Emancipation from who?" The woman asks with a laugh, scoffing at the two young Routledges. "There's nobody here but you two."

"Uh... asylum, then!" She yells back, running her hand through her blonde curly hair.

"On what grounds?"

"On fucking- Solid grounds! On holy grounds!" She shouts, fighting back angry tears. "Look, I feel really prosecuted right now by you! And..." She gestures back to the big man.

"Yeah specially Mr Big Head over there." She mumbles.

The man glares at her, folding his arms over.

"What are you looking at?! Bro! What're you gonna do? You gonna fucking tase me?!" She yells, raising her arms, her voice cracking as she shouts.